low hanging independent rear suspension any problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbta02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
was told to stay away from the new Yukons due to the rear suspension hanging low because its not good off road. would be using it on the beach. has this been a problem for anyone ?

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was told to stay away from the new Yukons due to the rear suspension hanging low because its not good off road. would be using it on the beach. has this been a problem for anyone ?
That seems a strange sort of logic to me. Haven't compared the ground clearance between the live axle and IRS versions, but I'm pretty sure your clearance in back either way won't be worse than the front, so what difference would it make?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly…You aren’t going to see too many of these at Moab…
it will do any reasonable thing you need it to do. This isn’t a vehicle for unreasonable things….

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that Land Rover has a very similar independent rear suspension design on their rigs. I owned a 2007 LR3 with this setup after having owned a 2004 Discovery 2 with the solid rear axle setup. The rear suspension arms hung low like those on the new Yukons, and everyone in the Land Rover world was worried about them, but their fears were proven to be for naught. The LR3 was a far superior off-road truck to the Discovery 2 in every way. Mine was bone stock and it made it through the infamous "Metal Masher" in Moab with no issues. I don't think the IRS in these new trucks will cause any trouble at all off-road.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m glad someone asked the question. I was wondering the same thing following a Yukon home this weekend and the suspension seemed really low to the ground.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this one.

Has anyone experienced/heard of any problems from the control arm's low clearance? I don't do any rock-crawling but driving on dirt/rocky roads (nothing extreme) or through snow are my main concerns. Seems like anything deeper than 4-6 inches will have the arm plowing underneath the truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who wants to take a pretty $75k suv off road? Go buy a jeep, I try to keep any bit of dirt off mine. But I guess to each their own....
LOL, who wants to take a $75k jeep off road? no space of any kind in it or on it, you have to tow a trailer to carry anything lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckner0121

Latest posts