Looseness in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My '01 Yukon w/89k flunked PA inspection due to slop in the steering. On the lift when the tech wiggled the wheel, the tie rod went in and out of the dust boot about 1/4" with no corresponding movement of the steering wheel. I have not done anything to this truck yet, so I am unfamiliar with the steering configuration, but from what I gather there are inner and outer tie rods? I have done a search and could not find any sort of schematic or diagram showing the configuration and I don't really have the space to start tearing into it without having some idea of what I am in for. Can anybody steer me in the right direction (pun intended :emotions34:)?

TIA
Geoff

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the inner tie rod looks nothing like the outer. it has a big socket end that mounts to the cross shaft, the outer tie rod end looks like most others. now is the play coming from the outer red end by the tire or the inner? they are easy to replace and will set you back about $48 for the inners and $55 for the outers and these are moog parts. you will need to get it aligned after replacing the tie rod ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter72