Looney tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can help with tuning and disabling the AFM within the tune, but unfortunately we can't do anything with the TPMS.

Thanks but no-thanks, been down that road last time I paid a shop $200 to disable my TPMS only to have another shop the very next year turn it back on and refuse to turn it back off.
No offence, but Im sure you understand my point.

.....why pay the locksmith to unlock MY door when I could own the key?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks but no-thanks, been down that road last time I paid a shop $200 to disable my TPMS only to have another shop the very next year turn it back on and refuse to turn it back off.
No offence, but Im sure you understand my point.

.....why pay the locksmith to unlock MY door when I could own the key?
Could that shop legally do that without your consent?

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could that shop legally do that without your consent?

Oh trust me, Ive been round and round with that argument lol

They went on to exclaim that who ever agreed to disable it, illegally did so because its a federal safety item...bla..bla..bla..
I know the AFM is a different subject, but the point is all it takes is for someone to flip the switch so to speak, and Im back at square one.
Id rather have the tools at home to adjust or re-adjust my preferences in the future..

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh trust me, Ive been round and round with that argument lol

They went on to exclaim that who ever agreed to disable it, illegally did so because its a federal safety item...bla..bla..bla..
I know the AFM is a different subject, but the point is all it takes is for someone to flip the switch so to speak, and Im back at square one.
Id rather have the tools at home to adjust or re-adjust my preferences in the future..
that is not true

The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007.

was yours sold after 9/1/2007 if it was sold before then your in the clear to keep it removed.... you can permanently disable the chip (pulling the power)by disconnecting it in the Overhead light(it will disable your remote as well) :(... (you will need proof of sold date though like on the title it will say first sold on XX/XX/XXXX date)

tell them you will take the to small claims court just bring your proof and the nhtsa document to get the 200$ to get it reprogramed disabled

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is not true

The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007.

was yours sold after 9/1/2007

Its a 2007 Tahoe...

Tire shops in my state refuse to even mount tires if your tpms are not working.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn Alaska!!:mad:

Im sure if I drove around long enough I could find a hole in the wall that would install non tpms tires, but overall its a great great way for shops here to really stick it to us! Mostly there all in collusion as well... They jack up the prices on sensors more than double and then act like its rocket science to program them...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2007 Tahoe...

Tire shops in my state refuse to even mount tires if your tpms are not working.
that is crappy tell them is a spare tire they are exempt from the mandate it's also Date exempt as well (they can be like 100 years old and it's still exempt )

4 spare tires lol o

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,...its a 2007!...you know,..the year they STARTED putting the sensors on....Mine didn't come with them! (see if they will fall for that..) ;)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,...its a 2007!...you know,..the year they STARTED putting the sensors on....Mine didn't come with them! (see if they will fall for that..) ;)
check the tag on the Vin plate on the driver door it says the Month and year that is what the mandate goes by

mine says 01/08 jan-2008

that is why they have MY = mid year model i.e MY2007 = built june to dec 2007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE