Looking to upgrade brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats a good kit to upgrade to? I’m not looking to spend Wilwood money, and don’t really need that kind of stopping power. What’s a good kit for all for corners that’s gonna be under $1k?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me and you just wanted a "factory brake upgrade"

R1 Concepts Geomet Rotors (Plain/OEM or Slotted). Stay away from the cross drilled for DD use.
HAWK LTS Brake Pads

If you'd like to increase the response/engagement of your brakes and increased pedal feel consider adding some stainless steel brake lines.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with everything mentioned above. I made the mistake of getting the cross drilled rotors from R1 concepts and while they were great initially, I warped them fairly quickly and they squeal like crazy unless you're doing super hard braking. For daily duty, they are overkill and will be very noisy. However, I did do the stainless lines and that made a HUGE difference. The pedal feel is night and day better. Bang for your buck, do the stainless line upgrade, better pad and either keep the OEM rotors or go with R1 slotted, but again stay away from cross drilled... just my .02.

Quick addition, I switched back to OEM rotors and kept my braided lines and still have great pedal feel without the squeal.

Joe

dmad1

Reaction score
My son just installed cross drilled and slotted rotors with carbon/ceramic pads on his '08 Trailblazer SS. Huge mistake. The ceramics are terrible when cold and takes a lot to heat them up. Great for track but not daily driving. They are scary.

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And is it even worth it to upgrade the calipers if I am not going to bigger rotors? I am planning to do the pads and slotted rotors.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not worth changing the calipers unless you plan on really pounding it hard with late braking or towing a very large trailer. There are numerous places to find braided lines. Wilwood, Stoptech, Baer, Brembo all have some, but you can go through just about anyone for lines. I think I got mine through R1 on here, who is also a sponsor.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the stock brakes are pretty great. You guys really think there will be that dramatic of brake feel increase? Is have a 2015 Denali - not sure if regular Yukon has lesser components.

Just seems like a lot of expense to change calipers and lines with a solid stock system. I don’t really know...

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my fronts today. Got OEM rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. They work fine.

Had truck in dealer for trans pan drop and filter change (60k on truck) and they said front pads had 1-2mm left.... must be dragging calipers cause only 1 of the four front pads was that low. Rest had a good 4-5mm left.

I cleaned and greased the caliper pins really well, so hopefully that won’t happen again .

I am happy with the OEM brakes so didn’t want to spend a bunch of cash on brake upgrades.

Hdlf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recommendations for braided lines on an ‘18 Tahoe?