Looking to purchase Burb/Yukon XL. What year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently posted about maybe looking at a 2016+ Suburban but am now leaning toward possibly doing a '07-'14 version instead. Towing/power seems similar as do a lot of options and I actually like the styling better. That being said what should someone consider when looking at years over such a large model life? Anything come along that a person should definitely take into consideration?

We have to have the max-trailering package, tow 6k lb TT with the fam.

3rd row DVD would be nice.

Cooled seats would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Read through that post and while it mentions problems they have doesn't really get into different options or things to consider for different model years or differences between makes Yukon XL vs. Suburban.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-14 is probably more preferable, xl's and suburbans are/or can be virtually the same they just have a different front clip
the differences are when you get up to the higher trims levels, the XL Denali is AWD, the LTZ is generally 4wd but there may be a 2wd variant
other than that there really is no difference other than personal preference, all the parts can swap from one to the other with the exception of the front clip which could be swapped also if you really wanted to. If I were to go shopping for one today I would look for a lower mileage 14 but would be happy with a 12-14 on the 12 downhill brake assist is available in tow mode on the 13-14 it's available anytime.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-14 is probably more preferable, xl's and suburbans are/or can be virtually the same they just have a different front clip
the differences are when you get up to the higher trims levels, the XL Denali is AWD, the LTZ is generally 4wd but there may be a 2wd variant
other than that there really is no difference other than personal preference, all the parts can swap from one to the other with the exception of the front clip which could be swapped also if you really wanted to. If I were to go shopping for one today I would look for a lower mileage 14 but would be happy with a 12-14 on the 12 downhill brake assist is available in tow mode on the 13-14 it's available anytime.

Also, been looking at the 5.3's just for fuel consumption. Are the 6.0's really that much more of a gas hog? I know that the rating is 5-6mpg less, but what does real world show?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, been looking at the 5.3's just for fuel consumption. Are the 6.0's really that much more of a gas hog? I know that the rating is 5-6mpg less, but what does real world show?
the 6.2l def has it's perks as far as power goes, gas mileage can really be dependent upon your foot, there are some 2wd Denali's out there with the 6.2l that may be the middle ground as far gas power/mileage go, the awd system is going to be on the lower end of the mileage spectrum even if you baby it. most of us don't really buy them for the mileage though but it's nice when they do get better than expected.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD/4wd is a must. We live in pretty hilly area's and with the kids doing travel sports fuel consumption is a large factor.

Matt Baller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 6.2 and I have had bad experiences with the dealership and GM from the day I took ownership, I had the CAM replaced at 23K ,running board replaced at 25K, trans problems at 48K that GM sent me a service letter and the dealership wants me to pay a diagnostic fee when I have a letter that it is a problem and I am supposed to have 100K powertrain warranty WTF !! At 48k this truck is a rattle trap and I never drive dirt roads. They just do not want to stand behind there vehicles and tell you you have a 100K powertrain warranty but your bumper to bumper has expired so now the rules change and they cover what they wants , which is nothing. Not taking care of issues no matter what they are on a vehicle that cost 65K that is under 50Kmile and 5years is not worth buying. Run away from GM they are not the company they used to be. If they cannot service and treat customers right for the amount of money you spend on a vehicle like this I would suggest a Ford or Lincoln. This is my 4 Yukon but the first since the restructure of GM don't waste your money.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 yukon xl denali is what you want. I bought mine for just under 18k with 139k miles. Low milage ones are harder to find... maybe 70k miles for 22k ?
Lots cheaper than 70k!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269