Looking to buy, updated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
3D
Holy Rollback Batman !!!!!
No doubt!!! Glad they actually caught it before putting it
We’ve gone from a new 06 YXL Denali (NBS) to a pre loved 08 YXL Denali in ‘14 and an 09 Esky ESV Platinum in ‘20.
Looking for an Escalade, poss ESV, but '12-14. Can find '09-'11 with a little more ease but deciding I like some of the improvements offered in the '12-'14.
You said rain. GM’s AWD in rain is flipping amazing. It practically eliminates hydroplane, wet corner slide and take off issues. I always had it as my family comes first and the added weight is a safety factor if the worst happens as you’ve read about.
My mechanic, who I trust very much, seems a little against AWD, as it is something else to go wrong. But considering how/where I drive, looking at vehicles only with it, if nothing else because of rain.
Wait on the 06. The 09+ with a 6.2L will wow you.
Doing just that. Hunting is driving me nuts but thankful my mechanic is patient with me...and looks up service records for free. Found a local Escalade ESV, 130K miles, $20K, but no service records to speak of, so going to pass.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
2011 Escalade Platinum, 118K miles, from Arkansas. Asking around $22K, 1 owner, no accidents, and mechanic is looking at service records.

On paper, this seems to be a pretty good deal but wondering if I should hold out for the 2012-2014 model years. Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance!

Edit: did see there is a difference on suspension, between the 2. Torsion bar vs coil springs. Also see the 2012+ does not necessarily come with a spare tire (has to be added on).

Edit (2): I read where someone went with Escalade Platinum over Yukon Denali because of the leather and paint. Then elsewhere, I see speaking of the Denali because of parts availability. Is one superior to the other, based on either of these points?

Edit (3): looking at CarMax, seeing 2013-2014 Escalades in the $30-40K range, mostly because of low mileage (40-50K). To me, spending that extra $10K does not make sense for 40-50K miles but wondering someone else's thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Follow-up - my mechanic, who I trust absolutely, has strongly suggested I get a vehicle without AFM/DOD. I know some of you suggest it not being a problem but looking at a vehicle 10 years old and 120K miles definitely makes me at least have a modicum of concern.
If that is the case, I realize it limits my market even moreso. Do not have the extra money to rebuild/replace a 6.2L engine and trying to understand whether I should be as concerned as he is suggesting.
The more I read, the less weary I am, with AFM/DOD. I see that it CAN fail but newer versions (after '09) are much less likely to do so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're going to have to get an even older vehicle (2010 or earlier) if you don't want AFM, as you know. At this point, you'll have to decide between getting a newer vehicle and the possibility of AFM troubles or having to be concerned with whatever could crop up in a 12-to-15-year-old used vehicle.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 Escalade Platinum, 118K miles, from Arkansas. Asking around $22K, 1 owner, no accidents, and mechanic is looking at service records.

On paper, this seems to be a pretty good deal but wondering if I should hold out for the 2012-2014 model years. Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance!

Edit: did see there is a difference on suspension, between the 2. Torsion bar vs coil springs. Also see the 2012+ does not necessarily come with a spare tire (has to be added on).

Edit (2): I read where someone went with Escalade Platinum over Yukon Denali because of the leather and paint. Then elsewhere, I see speaking of the Denali because of parts availability. Is one superior to the other, based on either of these points?

Edit (3): looking at CarMax, seeing 2013-2014 Escalades in the $30-40K range, mostly because of low mileage (40-50K). To me, spending that extra $10K does not make sense for 40-50K miles but wondering someone else's thoughts.
All NNBS (2007-2014) have front coil spring suspension. The torsion bars went away with the 2006 MY.

Parts availability will be similar between the Escalades and Denalis, with the possible exception of interior and trim bits and the fancy LED headlights. It is true that the Yukon/XL/Tahoe/Suburban are much more similar in these areas than the Escalade but as far as mechanicals (expensive stuff) go, they're identical.

I'd sooner have a higher mileage car that's from a dry climate with impeccable maintenance records than a low mileage unit at a 10K premium.

Tell your worry-wart mechanic to read up here. Don't sweat the AFM. Have it tuned out, keep your oil changed, and fuhgeddaboudit.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
You're going to have to get an even older vehicle (2010 or earlier) if you don't want AFM, as you know. At this point, you'll have to decide between getting a newer vehicle and the possibility of AFM troubles or having to be concerned with whatever could crop up in a 12-to-15-year-old used vehicle.
For the vehicles I am looking at, 2009 does not have AFM. Have heard they fixed many of the issues, 2010+ and have decided 2009 to 2014 are the years I am seeking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
All NNBS (2007-2014) have front coil spring suspension. The torsion bars went away with the 2006 MY.
When I compare the 2011 and 2012 Escalade, 2012 shows independent with coil springs and 2011 shows independent with torsion bar.
I'd sooner have a higher mileage car that's from a dry climate with impeccable maintenance records than a low mileage unit at a 10K premium.
Been looking at stuff at least away from the salt belt, preferably with 1 owner. Going on Thursday to go look at one from Arkansas, 120K miles, no accidents, 1-owner, but at a dealership.
Tell your worry-wart mechanic to read up here. Don't sweat the AFM. Have it tuned out, keep your oil changed, and fuhgeddaboudit.
My mechanic takes VERY good care of me but have decided to just go for what I want...and fuhgeddaboudit!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Parts availability will be similar between the Escalades and Denalis, with the possible exception of interior and trim bits and the fancy LED headlights. It is true that the Yukon/XL/Tahoe/Suburban are much more similar in these areas than the Escalade but as far as mechanicals (expensive stuff) go, they're identical.
Thanks for that. Still trying to decide between Denali and Escalade Platinum...both priced about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons