Looking to buy, updated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost exclusively use Costco gas wherever I go, which has it's own financial benefits...Premium, at PBG Costco (North lake), is $3.38/gallon.

Short wheelbase wagon, yes. Still trying to figure out the 4WD vs RWD dilemma. Will not be in the market for a boat for at least 2 more years and know my Tundra had always been able to pull my boat out at ramps I visited.
Question I need to answer - is the additional maintenance/costs for 4WD worth it when I am not sure when a boat will be coming back in to my future (really digging this kayaking and head boat thing).
I really wanted a traditional 4x4 but didn't NEED it. The right tires alleviates the need for 4WD in 90% of situations we're likely to encounter. A visit to the IIHS and other websites showed how much safer the 4WD trucks were over the RWD kind, presumably because of inclement weather. So that was my excuse! Is it going to raise the cost to maintain the front differential and transfer case? Yep, but mine hasn't required anything other than clean fluids as of yet.

In torrential rains my wife or daughters can put the transfer case in Auto and go through just about anywhere through anything. Before the IIHS redid their website, there were ZERO fatalities for a 2009 GMC Yukon XL after all these years. We've had guys on here flip over, smash into trees, have their trailer toss them on their side and they've all walked away. @gooffeyguy got t-***** in his new Denali, it was totaled but he went out and bought an XL for a little extra safety as he still has small children. Well, I bet they are twice the size now since that happened! On the other hand, the AWD is always there, silent but there, don't even have to think about it, just remember to change the fluids!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my misunderstanding - you went with the 6.2, over the 5.3, correct?
yes 2012 6.2l L94 awd denali xl she was around $27k in 2017 with 84k on the clock, flew to vegas drove it home 7 hours
had everything except power running boards. a couple weeks later I discovered she had a bad cam and a chunk of metal was stuck in the oil pump
luckily I had bought the powertrain insurance, insurance covered a rebuilt engine but I opted to pay the difference for a new gm crate motor with 100k 3yr warranty
that was $1k (my cost for the difference) the dealer billed the insurance company 9,999.00, minus my $1k I also purchased a new water pump at the time of engine install because it came with a mr goodwrench lifetime warranty. about a month after that they discovered a "little play" in the Rear diff and the front pinion was leaking so I also ended up with a new g80 and front diff rebuild for $100 (my insurance deductible) so basically new truck! that $2k insurance policy paid me back about $13.8k in repairs
so moral of this story, if you are offered a extended powertrain warranty take it, the odds are always in there favor but not in my case.
as for having a bad cam there was really no way tell driving it drove perfect and it very well could have happened after i bought it, I just noticed the oil pressure was moving around a bit too much and went thru the whole process of checking if it was a bad oil filter, the pickup tube, o-ring, etc but pressure was fluctuating right out of the pump and when the pan was pulled thinking it was a bad pump that's when the chunk of metal revealed it's self.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
I really wanted a traditional 4x4 but didn't NEED it. The right tires alleviates the need for 4WD in 90% of situations we're likely to encounter. A visit to the IIHS and other websites showed how much safer the 4WD trucks were over the RWD kind
Sounds like something I would do, to justify spending the extra monies...
In torrential rains my wife or daughters can put the transfer case in Auto and go through just about anywhere through anything. Before the IIHS redid their website, there were ZERO fatalities for a 2009 GMC Yukon XL after all these years.
I can see why you recommend the longer wheelbase, then.
On the other hand, the AWD is always there, silent but there, don't even have to think about it, just remember to change the fluids!
Yeah, not sure I completely understand the benefits of AWD vs 4WD, other than 4WD will pull my boat out of the water MUCH better than having just AWD.

Still struggling with not buying the 2006 while trying to find a newer model. Seems like finding a 2012-2014, 6.2L with leather, sunroof, and backup camera is like finding a needle in a haystack, unless I go with a Denali.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like finding a 2012-2014, 6.2L with leather, sunroof, and backup camera is like finding a needle in a haystack, unless I go with a Denali.
You can only get a 6.2 in those years in either a Denali or an Escalade. Good luck trying to get one of the Canadian 6.2 Escalade EXTs over here!

The only real options to look for are the drive type and whether or not it has automatic running boards. With the Esky's there are different levels of luxury, the Tehama leather in the Platinum is the cat's meow! At one time their headlamps were $2500 each!

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
You can only get a 6.2 in those years in either a Denali or an Escalade.
And it seems only the short wheelbase Yukon, correct?
Good luck trying to get one of the Canadian 6.2 Escalade EXTs over here!
I might be an outlier but not a fan of the EXT.
The only real options to look for are the drive type and whether or not it has automatic running boards. With the Esky's there are different levels of luxury, the Tehama leather in the Platinum is the cat's meow! At one time their headlamps were $2500 each!
Oh, HECK NO! I remember looking at an Aston Martin, used, and decided against it just because of the $2500 KEY!!!

So if I go 2012-2014, I am limited to Yukon and Escalade EXT? Struggling to find detailed information that lays out which trims MAY have the 6.2L as an option.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
All Yukon Denalis & Escalades have the 6.2L. I have an 05 Yukon Denali and love it. There is only two things that I don't like on the NBS and 1 is that they have a torsion bar set up on the 4wds and 2nd they don't have a steering rack. You can't go wrong with either body style. They are almost identical when it comes with technology and working systems. They are also easy to fix and you can find the parts all over.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
We’ve gone from a new 06 YXL Denali (NBS) to a pre loved 08 YXL Denali in ‘14 and an 09 Esky ESV Platinum in ‘20. The 6 SP trans in the 07+ / NNBS are gas savers and preform better hands down. In 14 I looked high and low for another 06 and was ready to travel out of state for a cream puff, loaded, red YXL Denali w/ factory 20’s. For $2k more we found 07 & 08 YXL Denali were available locally. 09+ were almost $10k more as they had e85, BT, a/c seats, side blind zone assist options. We did the 08 YXL Denali and never looked back.

You said rain. GM’s AWD in rain is flipping amazing. It practically eliminates hydroplane, wet corner slide and take off issues. I always had it as my family comes first and the added weight is a safety factor if the worst happens as you’ve read about.

Wait on the 06. The 09+ with a 6.2L will wow you. GM spent billions on the NNBS due to being bailed out of BKY. It’s a night-day difference best experienced. Our e85 here in CA is $1.40 gal cheaper than Costco 91 octane. That’s $36 a tank savings.

We sold our 08 YXL Denali through the link below on TRED. It was in the middle of COVID and DMV was closed. They did ALL the DMV and escrow for a lady who drove from Vegas. The example below is an 09 Burb 4WD loaded w/ cooled front seats and uprated harddrive Navi that allows a $79 add on module to get steaming BT music to the factory BT phone (steering wheel controlled). It’s the 5.3L w/ DOD. Carfax shows it just moved from FL to NY this year. Prices are negotiable and bargains are out there without risk. These have enough room to add a Service Contract to cover hidden or missed items that always turn up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it seems only the short wheelbase Yukon, correct?

So if I go 2012-2014, I am limited to Yukon and Escalade EXT? Struggling to find detailed information that lays out which trims MAY have the 6.2L as an option.
All Yukon Denalis and Yukon XL Denalis and Escalades and Escalade ESVs are 6.2s. They either come RWD or AWD in the GMT900 generation from 2007-2014. There are no 2014 Escalade ESVs.

All of them are backed by the 6L80 transmission and have 3.42 gears. The RWD models have 9.5" rear axles, the AWD versions have standard 8.6" axles.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Well, I do appreciate all the help you guys have given me, even if I ended up blowing the budget!!! Had been set on a 2006 Tahoe but after reading here and further research, going to hunt for a 2012-2014 Escalade.

I like the looks of the Yukon Denali but the styling on the Escalade is more appealing to my taste (NEVER thought I would say that...) and finding VERY little difference in pricing. Going on a hunt this weekend for both short and long based versions, whether it be Yukon, Suburban, Escalade, etc., just to get a feel for how the rear end feels. Who knows...maybe I'll get lucky and find an Escalade Platinum in my newly assumed budget!!!

Will further update when I find what I am looking for, now that I know what that is. Thanks again!!!

booboo23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1GKFK03279R178101

Came across this, asking price of $15K, 90K in Indianapolis. Not showing any accidents and has a clean title. Waiting on follow-up from dealership as this seems to be almost too good!

1GKFK03299R203385

$20K, 98K miles, 1 owner, list in NY
Did you have the pre-sales inspection done on the Yukon in Indianapolis? I'm only a couple hours away and might go look at it this weekend, but don't want to waste my time if there is something wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt