Looking to buy, updated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicasso

Reaction score
Original budget was set at $10K, under 120K miles. Found a '06 Z71 LTZ for $11K, 105K miles, awaiting inspection (out of state).

That said, having time on my hands and apparently money trying to burn a hole in my pocket, I have bumped the budget to low-to-mid 20's, leaning towards '09-'14. Other criteria - leather, bluetooth/backup camera, (at least after market available), sunroof, and would LIKE 4WD (guessing LT or LTZ).

Uses - toting dogs in crates along with field training equipment; kayaking/fishing; no towing and light load on hitch rack.

Reasons for 4WD - some of the places I go can get a little mucky...just a factor of comfort. Otherwise, looking at the times of when I hope to get up to OBX and drive on the beaches. If there is a stronger encouragement to NOT get 4WD, I am fine with that.

Leather - I tend to get wet/dirty. Fake leather would be preferred but cloth seems to be too hard to clean. Again, open to personal suggestions. Leather breaks down and does need to be replaced but still seems easier to keep up with vs cloth.

Size - leaning towards Tahoe/Yukon just for agility. Have seen longer wheelbases recommended for pricing/availability. Want something that is not going to feel like the rear end is catching up when making turns (shy away from Sequoia because of sloppy handling in the rear). 3rd row is not needed.

Location - live in Florida but doing a Nationwide search with pre-purchase inspections and transport.

Originally was thinking 5.3 but leaning towards 6.2, 6sp. I have always been a Honda car/Toyota truck guy and it seems you guys have a fairly good finger on the pulse of what is good/better. At this point, not even sure what the right questions to ask, during my search, let alone how to find the answers. Any suggestions on how to help me narrow down this search would be greatly appreciated.

Did see the post referencing VIN numbers on '09 vehicles. Looking more for real world opinions on why certain engines/trims, etc., were favored.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
1GKFK03279R178101

Came across this, asking price of $15K, 90K in Indianapolis. Not showing any accidents and has a clean title. Waiting on follow-up from dealership as this seems to be almost too good!

1GKFK03299R203385

$20K, 98K miles, 1 owner, list in NY

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
09 is the go to year, No DOD, e85, piston slap resolved, updates to trans. Do get some kind of Service Contact (S/C) to cya for deferred maintenance and surprises. The 100K major service is coming up.

A S/C covering a leaky rear main seal and axle backing plate gaskets will cover almost all of that 100K major service by changing the fluid and n the trans and rear diff. A win off the bat.

Replacement leather upholstery and foam is readily available on eBay and Amazon for cheap. Even new center console leather and steering wheel trims are available.

Tell them the spare is rusted in place. Make ‘em prove its not. In this market from the little I see, that’s a rare find for the mighty L9H 6.2L. If they don’t have a Nav disc for the Navi unit it’s also a way to conceal its died. Bring a DVD to verify the rear monitor works at least.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Do get some kind of Service Contact (S/C) to cya for deferred maintenance and surprises. The 100K major service is coming up.

Tell them the spare is rusted in place. Make ‘em prove its not. In this market from the little I see, that’s a rare find for the mighty L9H 6.2L. If they don’t have a Nav disc for the Navi unit it’s also a way to conceal its died. Bring a DVD to verify the rear monitor works at least.
Vehicle is out of state and having a pre-sale inspection done, independently. Will have them check the spare tire and that Navi/DVD works.

Service contract - have never purchased one before. Do they work nationally (vehicle is over 1K miles away from me)? Any recommended companies?

Supposed to have a pre-sales inspection this week on an '06, 105K miles, $11K. In no major rush as I have a DD already, though looking to purchase as quickly as possible. But if the '09, 6.2L is the way to go, I can hold out and cancel this inspection.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original budget was set at $10K, under 120K miles. Found a '06 Z71 LTZ for $11K, 105K miles, awaiting inspection (out of state).

That said, having time on my hands and apparently money trying to burn a hole in my pocket, I have bumped the budget to low-to-mid 20's, leaning towards '09-'14. Other criteria - leather, bluetooth/backup camera, (at least after market available), sunroof, and would LIKE 4WD (guessing LT or LTZ).

Uses - toting dogs in crates along with field training equipment; kayaking/fishing; no towing and light load on hitch rack.

Reasons for 4WD - some of the places I go can get a little mucky...just a factor of comfort. Otherwise, looking at the times of when I hope to get up to OBX and drive on the beaches. If there is a stronger encouragement to NOT get 4WD, I am fine with that.

Leather - I tend to get wet/dirty. Fake leather would be preferred but cloth seems to be too hard to clean. Again, open to personal suggestions. Leather breaks down and does need to be replaced but still seems easier to keep up with vs cloth.

Size - leaning towards Tahoe/Yukon just for agility. Have seen longer wheelbases recommended for pricing/availability. Want something that is not going to feel like the rear end is catching up when making turns (shy away from Sequoia because of sloppy handling in the rear). 3rd row is not needed.

Location - live in Florida but doing a Nationwide search with pre-purchase inspections and transport.

Originally was thinking 5.3 but leaning towards 6.2, 6sp. I have always been a Honda car/Toyota truck guy and it seems you guys have a fairly good finger on the pulse of what is good/better. At this point, not even sure what the right questions to ask, during my search, let alone how to find the answers. Any suggestions on how to help me narrow down this search would be greatly appreciated.

Did see the post referencing VIN numbers on '09 vehicles. Looking more for real world opinions on why certain engines/trims, etc., were favored.

Thanks in advance.
Almost all 6.2 that are not RWD are AWD and not 4x4s just so you know. L9H is an awesome engine. What part of Florida do you call home? There are active members on here all over the state.

The Suburbans and Yukon XLs handle like a smaller vehicle to me, even my wife and kids can whip it around a parking lot just fine. You'll appreciate the extra space in the 2nd row and out back and the larger fuel tank with virtually no gas mileage penalty (about .25 MPG).

Of course, the short ones weigh a lot less and that makes them even faster! Those things giddy-up and go!

If interested, there are 2009 Tahoe LTZs and even 2010 Yukon XL SLTs with the L9H. The latter are quite rare.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Almost all 6.2 that are not RWD are AWD and not 4x4s just so you know. L9H is an awesome engine. What part of Florida do you call home?

The Suburbans and Yukon XLs handle like a smaller vehicle to me, even my wife and kids can whip it around a parking lot just fine. You'll appreciate the extra space in the 2nd row and out back and the larger fuel tank with virtually no gas mileage penalty (about .25 MPG).

Of course, the short ones weigh a lot less and that makes them even faster! Those things giddy-up and go.
I am pretty set on the 6.2L engine and willing to take the time. Is there any reason to NOT go with the 6.2L and look at the 5.3L (which is much more readily available)? If the ONLY reason is to have 4WD, forget that!

I am in S Florida, West Palm area. Definitely NOT wanting AWD, and not 100% sure I even NEED 4WD (only time I can think of is at the boat ramp, though my Tundra pulled just fine). If so, may need to look at a Silverado, instead, though preferring the idea of an SUV.

Thanks for the info about the long wheel base. Have rented a couple of Tahoe's recently and literally impressed with the turning radius of such a monstrosity. Good to know the Suburban offers something similar. Luckily, not worried too much about gas mileage, especially since I am already thinking of air intakes, headers, exhaust, and tune, before even buying. That said, would prefer the Tahoe over the Suburban, pretty much only for the comment you mentioned - the get-up-and-go factor. But hearing what you said at least gives me more vehicles to look at.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awd is safer and better (in general 4wd will always have it's place) that's why they put it on the Escalade's and Denali's just saying
if you can find a 2010+ in your price range that would be my recommendation
you can find the 6.2 in non awd if you have time to keep looking they are out there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty set on the 6.2L engine and willing to take the time. Is there any reason to NOT go with the 6.2L and look at the 5.3L (which is much more readily available)? If the ONLY reason is to have 4WD, forget that!

I am in S Florida, West Palm area. Definitely NOT wanting AWD, and not 100% sure I even NEED 4WD (only time I can think of is at the boat ramp, though my Tundra pulled just fine). If so, may need to look at a Silverado, instead, though preferring the idea of an SUV.

Thanks for the info about the long wheel base. Have rented a couple of Tahoe's recently and literally impressed with the turning radius of such a monstrosity. Good to know the Suburban offers something similar. Luckily, not worried too much about gas mileage, especially since I am already thinking of air intakes, headers, exhaust, and tune, before even buying. That said, would prefer the Tahoe over the Suburban, pretty much only for the comment you mentioned - the get-up-and-go factor. But hearing what you said at least gives me more vehicles to look at.
Well, the 5.3 in this generation are more fuel efficient and can be had in true 4x4. But be careful, many 2010+ come as 4x4s with a single speed transfer case and 3.08 highway gears. These are geared towards getting through snow and being fuel efficient, not towing prowess and playing off-road. This refers to 5.3s, not 6.2s, they all have 3.42 gears.

I would much prefer to be in 4LO on a slimy boat ramp.

The 6.2 pickups run mid 14s stock. The NHTs might even be a little faster as they have 3.73 gears.

A 6.2 Tahoe might be right up your alley then! If RWD is preferred, then of course consider the RWD Yukon Denali, 2009 is the only year of the non-AFM L9H in the wagons. There were a bunch for sale last year on the west coast of Florida.

There are quite a few active participants on here in West Palm. My folks are in Lake Worth, so we're down there all the time.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=618534256&clickType=myATCsavedcar - Not NHT, it has 3.42 gears.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=620482863&clickType=myATCsavedcar - All-Terrain, 3.42 gears

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=615032125&clickType=myATCsavedcar - NHT and 3.73 gears

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=622977900&clickType=myATCsavedcar - NHT and 3.73 gears

The non-Denali pickup trucks with the 6.2 all have the L9H in all years. No AFM.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
if you can find a 2010+ in your price range that would be my recommendation
you can find the 6.2 in non awd if you have time to keep looking they are out there.
Why do you suggest 2010+? Don't those vehicles add AFM?
I am in no rush so willing to look for what I want/need.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you suggest 2010+? Don't those vehicles add AFM?
I am in no rush so willing to look for what I want/need.
AFM isn't a issue to really consider, yes it crops up for some but so do a host of other things and the internet is all about complaining not raving.
so you will always see a disproportionate amount of complaints about something versus mean point of failure rates.
that being said 07 is a 1st year model re-design, after a couple of years into a design they usually get all the little bugs worked out better
in 2010 they made updates, also parts compatibility is better 2010-2014 by then they all had the 6spd and a greater amount of parts can be swapped over.
looking at long term ownership and cost of repair 2010-2014 is a better choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts