Looking to buy an SUV...but which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked the earlier '90's Durangos with the softer/ rounded body lines. ( as if a car guy designed it)...... Then Dodge completely screwed up the body into that ugly DUMB looking body.

2 guys I work with have had the old round ones for years. One still has his on the road, the other just traded his in last year for the new R/T. (That is a mean machine.) But those middle of the road squared edged fugly ass Durango's are major pieces of shit and my ex has one. I told her not to buy it but she don't listen, hence the "ex" title. :happy107: :happy175::Moon::yourself::waytogo:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a Dodge- Chrysler guy.... He said they started ( some years ago) to make the cars & trucks to last for only 3 years of reliability ( 3-year leases / warranty's) .

To save money.

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies...I was leaning more towards chevy/GMC anyway. I have seen a lot of higher mileage 2003-2005 Tahoes that have had replaced or rebuilt transmissions (higher mileage being 160000 and up) and was wondering if they were known to have problems with that?, or if it was just how the car had been driven previously which led the transmission to go?. Also, when looking at a used Tahoe/GMC is there anyway to know if the transmission is going to go bad?
I was also looking at Nissan Armadas, but after hearing horror stories about the break system totally failing and the general cost of maintenance....I changed my mind.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really liked the earlier '90's Durangos with the softer/ rounded body lines. ( as if a car guy designed it)...... Then Dodge completely screwed up the body into that ugly DUMB looking body.

And the earlier ones of those still had the old 318 and not the Pentastar engines! Not hard to upgrade to a marine 340 or 383 and have some fun!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the earlier ones of those still had the old 318 and not the Pentastar engines! Not hard to upgrade to a marine 340 or 383 and have some fun!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told a long time ago, a marine configured engine is quite different than a street engine. ( different crank, etc)

Imagine you buy a car & driving off the car lot, you ONLY drive up hill. Only up hill forever.
That is a marine engine.... those engines have the stress of always in water, pushing hard / higher torque requirements.
I understand that a boat engine is a gas mileage hog.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told a long time ago, a marine configured engine is quite different than a street engine.

They are usually more stout and in the case of the 340 marine, they come in left hand and right hand rotations. I probably wouldn't use the intake and Carter AFB Carb unless I knew them to be good performers. Of course, I wouldn't put a right hand motor in the truck either!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies...I was leaning more towards chevy/GMC anyway. I have seen a lot of higher mileage 2003-2005 Tahoes that have had replaced or rebuilt transmissions (higher mileage being 160000 and up) and was wondering if they were known to have problems with that?, or if it was just how the car had been driven previously which led the transmission to go?. Also, when looking at a used Tahoe/GMC is there anyway to know if the transmission is going to go bad?
I was also looking at Nissan Armadas, but after hearing horror stories about the break system totally failing and the general cost of maintenance....I changed my mind.

It is not uncommon for these trucks at those milages to be in their second trans. It is general consensus that the 4l60e is the weak link in the platform. That being said, some guys get them to go a long time. I have yet to replace one, and I've had 3 with 150k (in my driveway) 190k (sold) , and 205k (in my garage).

You will want to feel for hard jolting shifts, or slippage as telltale trouble signs.

Also see if the rebuilds or replacements have warranties that transfer. Typically, a good rebuild or replacement will outlast the truck.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe's and yukons with 200,000 just have the bugs worked out . And if you do maintenance and don't beat hell out of it you should get 300,000 miles .most of guys get tired of them before there wore out. I see a pattern where they get bit rust . Everyone stop doing maintenance .the Mom and Pop dealerships are loaded with them . So it's people's maintenance schedule that causes the most problems ..

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660