Looking to buy an SUV...but which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
I have been looking for a while now. I like the older Tahoes 2005 5.2L but also like the 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L hemi. Which is a better car? My budget now is around $5500. It would be for driving around town with kids and about 500 miles per month for out of town trips. The Tahoe just seems to be more solid safety wise...
Any thoughts?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're one a GM forum, so you can count on significant bias towards the Tahoe, rightly or wrongly. :)

I drive a 2008 Tahoe but I'm not heavily brand-biased. We have family friends who drove the Durango and disliked it overall. Too bad I can't give you any specifics behind the dislike.

Many people love the NBS Tahoes and actually prefer them to the NNBS for comfort and looks.

Good luck in your search!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a while now. I like the older Tahoes 2005 5.2L but also like the 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L hemi. Which is a better car? My budget now is around $5500. It would be for driving around town with kids and about 500 miles per month for out of town trips. The Tahoe just seems to be more solid safety wise...
Any thoughts?

GM has always made a more enduring product than Chrysler, still do. Those NBS trucks can easily run to 300K and we've seen more than a few with over 400K.

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has always made a more enduring product than Chrysler, still do. Those NBS trucks can easily run to 300K and we've seen more than a few with over 400K.

The Gm gets my vote. Love these years of vehicles. Very reliable. But......

But if somebody waved a set of keys to a new Durango SRT in front of me, I wouldn't say no.:D

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
Does NSB mean 'new style body'? A 2005 Tahoe wouldnt be a new style body would it?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For your budget, you may be choosing a higher mileage.
The reputation leads me to Chevy & GMC.

A neighbor bought a 4 year old "high-option" Dodge truck. Funny.... The truck wheels are chrome. But, HUB CAPS !! ....ouch

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM all day. I have never owned a Durango but I have a Denali and a Tahoe (2005 models). Well built, luxury interior, easy to work on. I'll hand them down to the grandkids when I am 6 feet under.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 2001 first gen Durango to my 2006 Denali xl. I had originally wanted to stay with dodge but the comfort and reliability of the 2000-2006 platform GM was too good to not go with. Given that I shopped for a long wheel based truck for extra interior space for my detailing gear and better ride quality while towing, dodge was out for that reason alone. Also a lot of the research I did on the 2005 and like year Durango suggested a lot of electrical issues as dodges were known for in those years. Not exactly a helpful fact for me. I like the 6.0 V8 in my truck more than I like the hemi also. But that’s just my preference. Parts are also cheaper for Chevy trucks SUVs and parts stores always have parts readily available. And chevys are simple to work on. Every project I tackled with my 2001 Durango was always stupid hard. Most of the maintenance and repairs I’ve had to make on my Denali have been pretty simple and straightforward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons