Looking into Yukon/Tahoe, what to expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oifla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time Toyota 4WD truck owner (I've had many, current is a 1992 4WD Pickup) looking for a larger platform and the GMT800 is at the top of my list. I see lots I like (scale, power, etc.) but am wondering about the weaknesses and issues I can expect for my intended uses. Because I walk to work (yes, small town living means no commute!), the truck will primarily be used for camping duties, towing a relatively compact trailer (the heaviest load will be no more than 4,000 lbs), and some off road usage (very mild, mostly fire trails.

With these uses in mind, what are the weaknesses of the GMT800? Thanks everyone!

O.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

GMT800 is at the top of my list.

O.
I've never heard that term "GMT800" ?!?!?
Mine is a 2005 Yukon XL/SLT with a rarer Stabilatrac tranny. Not 4L/4H/2H or AWD, but a computer controlled hybrid which I call the "squiggly line" tranny.
Bought it 'cause I outgrew my Grand Cherokee (which I still have). Drove weekly to my ski condo in WV (That's another story - sold it - lost $100K to get the H outta WV and am happy). Drive it weekly from DC-to-NJ (20mpg). LUV IT !!! I want comfort, room for stuff, and got it!!!! I take it to Orlando monthly too (AutoTrain).

OP
OP
O

oifla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never heard that term "GMT800" ?!?!?

Thanks for the info! GMT800 is a reference to the 2000-2006 Yukon/Tahoe generation. The more specific reference to those would be GMT820 (Tahoe/Yukon), GMT830 (Suburban, Yukon XL).

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my recent experience I can tell you the 4l60E transmission in the 1500 Suburbans and all Tahoe's is a known fail point. Mine failed while on the way back from a camping trip pulling a trailer. The good news was that it was only a "partial failure" in that I only lost 3rd and 4th gear - I was able to "limp home" in 2nd.

However it did need a total rebuild at a cost of $2k. Not a huge deal as long as you can anticipate it and be ready if/when the time comes. I have heard that on some import SUVs the cost of a transmission rebuild/replace can hit $4k so the Chevy is on the low side of that.

ap2002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 4l60e are great transmissions and what kills them 90% of the time is heat, which ofcourse if pulling something often it can happen, best way to make a 60e transmission last is getting a aftermarket oil cooler, I strongly suggest a Tru-cool cooler, I've had mine for 10years and works great, it is a 40kgcvw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts