Looking for Used 3" Lifts for my 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ansin529

Ansin529

Reaction score
Good Evening fellas. Work has kept me extremely busy as of late. And, I'm restoring a 45 year old rifle for my son for Christmas!

So I have a question and I have gone through countless threads in an attempt to locate the answer prior to asking for help.

If correct, my stock rims are 16x7s and currently have 265 70 R16s on them. I would like to replace my tires with 33s ( maybe 35s going forward ). In a week I will be increasing the lift by approximately 3 inches. Although I love to modify vehicles, I'm not quite sure I want to massage wheel wells and trim other components!

So, as I prepare to purchase the 33s, what is the widest wheel you guys have tested and managed with stocks rims?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Next Spring, I'll be installing a cold air intake, new front grill and areplacing the stock exhaust with a to be determined aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks!

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening fellas. Work has kept me extremely busy as of late. And, I'm restoring a 45 year old rifle for my son for Christmas!

So I have a question and I have gone through countless threads in an attempt to locate the answer prior to asking for help.

If correct, my stock rims are 16x7s and currently have 265 70 R16s on them. I would like to replace my tires with 33s ( maybe 35s going forward ). In a week I will be increasing the lift by approximately 3 inches. Although I love to modify vehicles, I'm not quite sure I want to massage wheel wells and trim other components!

So, as I prepare to purchase the 33s, what is the widest wheel you guys have tested and managed with stocks rims?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Next Spring, I'll be installing a cold air intake, new front grill and areplacing the stock exhaust with a to be determined aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks!

Offset makes a much bigger difference than wheel width. Mine are 18x8.5 +24 offset. They are factory 2016+ z71 wheels and I have 275/70r18 BFG KO2s. You could definitely fit a 285 width tire on that rim, but 285s are generally more expensive with an 18" rim. If you're keeping the 16s, 285/75r16 is a common ~33" size and should clear (haven't tested it). If you do a lot of off road driving, it will probably rub. On the street, you should have very few issues.

You CANNOT run 35s with only keys and spacers. I know some people have done it, but the front upper control arms will be on the bump stops and the truck will ride awful. The right way to clear 35s is a full lift kit.

What is your plan to get ~3" of lift? Keys and z71 springs? Spacers?

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found my original measurements. Stock height with 265/70r16s my fender heights were 34 3/4" front and 36" rear. Now it sits at 38 1/2" front and ~39 1/4" in the rear. The tires account for 1 1/4" of that, so I gained 2" in the rear and 2 1/2" up front. Thats about the limit for just keys.

I agree with @HiHoeSilver on the width. 285s is pushing it for me personally, but I know people do it all the time. My friend has an 04 Duramax with the stock 16x6.5" wheels and he runs 285/75r16s.

OP
OP
Ansin529

Ansin529

Reaction score
Offset makes a much bigger difference than wheel width. Mine are 18x8.5 +24 offset. They are factory 2016+ z71 wheels and I have 275/70r18 BFG KO2s. You could definitely fit a 285 width tire on that rim, but 285s are generally more expensive with an 18" rim. If you're keeping the 16s, 285/75r16 is a common ~33" size and should clear (haven't tested it). If you do a lot of off road driving, it will probably rub. On the street, you should have very few issues.

You CANNOT run 35s with only keys and spacers. I know some people have done it, but the front upper control arms will be on the bump stops and the truck will ride awful. The right way to clear 35s is a full lift kit.

What is your plan to get ~3" of lift? Keys and z71 springs? Spacers?

OP
OP
Ansin529

Ansin529

Reaction score
The lift is as described! I was pretty sure the 33s were the way to go per earlier comments! I just wasnt sure how to choose exact tire size/width. The online calculators confused this podunk fella lol!

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift is as described! I was pretty sure the 33s were the way to go per earlier comments! I just wasnt sure how to choose exact tire size/width. The online calculators confused this podunk fella lol!

The most important question then is what wheels? Stock wheels?

OP
OP
Ansin529

Ansin529

Reaction score

By the way! Your Tahoe is bad ***! I love the entire look and stance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz