Looking for the benefits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have a GMT800 truck and a GMT900 Tahoe. The ONLY thing I like better about my GMT800 is the seats, that's it. I hate the way it steers, hate the way it takes pot holes because of the torsion arms, and I hate the 4 speed auto... The 4L65 (my GMT800 is a Denali) is a POS even though mine works, the gear ratios suck and with 4.10 gears stock... It has a high rpm going down the highway. The brakes also suck BAD compared to my GMT900. I love almost everything about my GMT900, except for the dash cracks and the less supportive seats. Afm also sucks, but I don't have that on mine.
Nailed it! Same here but I don’t have dash cracks...yet. AFM is just an opportunity for a cam and tune in the future....

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From another 2006 owner, I love mine. I am thinking about getting a newer one but I’m not in a big rush. My 2006 xl Denali has 141k on the odometer and it still runs strong. Trying to track down an oil leak, and my clearcoat is trashed which really pisses me off. Because Im a professional detailer. But it was already starting to go when I bought it. But other than that I love the truck. Bench seats were almost non existent in 2015 when I bought my truck. None of the trucks I looked at in California had a bench. I ended up with the Denali because I liked the bigger engine option and the exterior appearance is more to my liking. But it’s got some nice creature comforts that the LT package subie and I looked at didn’t have. My mod row buckets are very comfortable and they have heat functions factory optioned. Ideally I would like to pick up a GMT900 and have it as my fun car and keep my 2006 as my working vehicle. We shall see how that goes. But I’d say if you’re gonna shop an NBS trick, try to get a 2005 or 2006 as the electric computer driven cooling fans are a major plus over the earlier models with clutch driven fans. Never experienced it myself but I’ve read a lot that the clutches for the fans were a common failure point. I will agree that the seats in my 2006 are very comfortable. Makes road trips a lot easier. It’s one of my favorite things about my 2006. think the seats in the GMT900 rigs are not quite as plush and cushy, but still comfortable.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to the NBS, as I've never owned one. I do very much like my NNBS Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L, 6 speed trans, captains chairs, and the cracked dash. Smooth ride, powerful acceleration, and large enough to carry plywood, sheet rock, and other building materials, when needed.

As folks above have stated, the current condition of the truck is more important than the year of manufacture.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GMT800 truck and a GMT900 Tahoe. The ONLY thing I like better about my GMT800 is the seats, that's it. I hate the way it steers, hate the way it takes pot holes because of the torsion arms, and I hate the 4 speed auto... The 4L65 (my GMT800 is a Denali) is a POS even though mine works, the gear ratios suck and with 4.10 gears stock... It has a high rpm going down the highway. The brakes also suck BAD compared to my GMT900. I love almost everything about my GMT900, except for the dash cracks and the less supportive seats. Afm also sucks, but I don't have that on mine.

This. The NNBS ride and drive so much better with coil springs and rack and pinion steering. AFM is a plague of the NNBS but many of the NBS suffer from the junk Castec heads so that isn't much better to deal with. The dashes may not crack in the NBS but I've seen plenty that were peeling.

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on nnbs captains were more popular, less popular on the nbs mostly in the denali's or escalades
most listings will not show a trim level so you mostly have to depend on photos, even if it does a trim level it does not mean it will have captains anyway.
lower mileage is always going to be more desirable anything under 100k is generally going to come with a inflated price tag
typically junk yards start picking these up at around 265k so that seems to be a tipping point
so that being said if you picked one up with say 210k on it then you can likely expect you might get 4-5 years on it before it may need semi major repairs (these are just averages, not set in stone)
buying used from a private owner is going to be the best option price wise and having service records is a bonus, dealers could care less about service records and will always toss them in the garbage and you just never know unless it was a local vehicle and the dealer has a record.
I'm new to the forum. Can you explain the terms like NBS, etc, or direct me to a place where I can find out. Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum. Can you explain the terms like NBS, etc, or direct me to a place where I can find out. Thanks!
PRE-99 ARE OBS (OLD BODY STYLE)
00-06 ARE NBS (NEW BODY STYLE)- 00 WAS CHANGEOVER YEAR SOME WERE MADE OBS/NBS
07-14 ARE NNBS (NEW NEW BODY STYLE) 07 WAS A CHANGEOVER YEAR FOR THE PICKUPS SOME WERE MADE NBS/NNBS NOW THEY ARE REFERRED TO AS "CLASSIC"
15-20 K2XX
2021+ T2XX (I THINK)

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
Is there a decoder ring available for this forum? I keep seeing acronyms like NBA, nnbs, and engines, etc. that I am not familiar with. Can I get a little help here? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas