Looking for the benefits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
I have owned both, they are both fine, if you are set on a nbs get 05-06, if you want a nnbs get 10-14
if you keep them maintained then you are unlikely to run into any unusual problems
Ok so my experience with LS engines generally tells me if it runs smooth then it’s got a lot of life in it, but is there a pretty standard braking point on how many miles to stay away from?

Heck I don’t mind getting something with 250 on the dash of it’s gonna run well. I can use the saved cash to replace everything necessary and move on with my day. But if 300k is a pretty standard NOGO, I would like to be aware before jumping in it.

And on top of this, what trim levels were available with captains chairs in the middle row? Doesn’t seem too hard to swap them out but not as easy as it already being done. And can you, by chance, convert to the newer model seats or are they too big(just for the sake of conversation)

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they all said, but the seats! Personally, I think the seats are more comfortable than anything before or after the NBS. The captains chairs were common, though not standard, on the LT and Z71, but easily swapped with the bench.

Mileage-wise, I've got 200k on mine and it still runs great, never had to do anything but the usual maintenance stuff. I've heard of these easily going 300k-400k if they are properly maintained and not mistreated.

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. I’ll probably have to go the route of swapping. Is it possible to put the fronts on the rear and get seat heaters or am I stretching lol
It’s just so much easier to find the front seats obviously

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so my experience with LS engines generally tells me if it runs smooth then it’s got a lot of life in it, but is there a pretty standard braking point on how many miles to stay away from?

Heck I don’t mind getting something with 250 on the dash of it’s gonna run well. I can use the saved cash to replace everything necessary and move on with my day. But if 300k is a pretty standard NOGO, I would like to be aware before jumping in it.

And on top of this, what trim levels were available with captains chairs in the middle row? Doesn’t seem too hard to swap them out but not as easy as it already being done. And can you, by chance, convert to the newer model seats or are they too big(just for the sake of conversation)
on nnbs captains were more popular, less popular on the nbs mostly in the denali's or escalades
most listings will not show a trim level so you mostly have to depend on photos, even if it does a trim level it does not mean it will have captains anyway.
lower mileage is always going to be more desirable anything under 100k is generally going to come with a inflated price tag
typically junk yards start picking these up at around 265k so that seems to be a tipping point
so that being said if you picked one up with say 210k on it then you can likely expect you might get 4-5 years on it before it may need semi major repairs (these are just averages, not set in stone)
buying used from a private owner is going to be the best option price wise and having service records is a bonus, dealers could care less about service records and will always toss them in the garbage and you just never know unless it was a local vehicle and the dealer has a record.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. I’ll probably have to go the route of swapping. Is it possible to put the fronts on the rear and get seat heaters or am I stretching lol
It’s just so much easier to find the front seats obviously
I think it would be a lot of work to put front seats in the second row, certainly not going to just bolt in. They also are not going to fold like the captain chairs. Seat heaters in the second row was an option on Denalis and Escalades, so if you want that you can try to find seats out of those. Also, aftermarket heaters are pretty easy to add.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love NBS seats in my Denali. It was one of the reasons I chose that model. That and the body style. Although, I do love the look of the OBS too. I had black 99 suburban with barn doors that was an absolute tank. Speaking of tanks, the gas tank on that one was 42 gallons.

What they all said, but the seats! Personally, I think the seats are more comfortable than anything before or after the NBS. The captains chairs were common, though not standard, on the LT and Z71, but easily swapped with the bench.

Mileage-wise, I've got 200k on mine and it still runs great, never had to do anything but the usual maintenance stuff. I've heard of these easily going 300k-400k if they are properly maintained and not mistreated.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a GMT800 truck and a GMT900 Tahoe. The ONLY thing I like better about my GMT800 is the seats, that's it. I hate the way it steers, hate the way it takes pot holes because of the torsion arms, and I hate the 4 speed auto... The 4L65 (my GMT800 is a Denali) is a POS even though mine works, the gear ratios suck and with 4.10 gears stock... It has a high rpm going down the highway. The brakes also suck BAD compared to my GMT900. I love almost everything about my GMT900, except for the dash cracks and the less supportive seats. Afm also sucks, but I don't have that on mine.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero complaints on mine. Brakes are good, handles and rides great. At 70 MPH, I’m turning about 2K RPM’s and average about 18.5 MPG on the highway which is great for a 6.0. Anything over 70 and the mileage starts to drop. I cant think of one thing I would change about it other than hopefully putting a supercharger on it after my twins graduate college.

I have a GMT800 truck and a GMT900 Tahoe. The ONLY thing I like better about my GMT800 is the seats, that's it. I hate the way it steers, hate the way it takes pot holes because of the torsion arms, and I hate the 4 speed auto... The 4L65 (my GMT800 is a Denali) is a POS even though mine works, the gear ratios suck and with 4.10 gears stock... It has a high rpm going down the highway. The brakes also suck BAD compared to my GMT900. I love almost everything about my GMT900, except for the dash cracks and the less supportive seats. Afm also sucks, but I don't have that on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons