Looking for diagnostic scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new scan tool to help diagnose the issues I am having with my ABS and SRS. Does anyone have any experience with these? I an looking to stay in the $300 range. The XTool Inplus looks nice. Any have any suggestions?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this free app and a $20 bafx obd2 bluetooth reader with a droid device can read all you abs codes and more, live data too. they are recommending to use the elm 327, but china has cloned them and they are so hit and miss use the bafx brand. ive used this on my 05 tahoe and a few other gm cars.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new scan tool to help diagnose the issues I am having with my ABS and SRS. Does anyone have any experience with these? I an looking to stay in the $300 range. The XTool Inplus looks nice. Any have any suggestions?
Your truck was designed to be serviced with the venerable Tech-2. So that's what I would suggest. It is a bi-directional scan tool and can interact with your car, turning lights on and off, run balance tests on injectors, live data, record data, etc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^ Get a China clone Tech 2 for $350-$400, and you can check/live monitor most important electrical and mechanical functions, as well as program replacement modules if/when needed. The Tech 2 has saved me thousands of dollars in repair bills that I have avoided through using it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Tech 2 has a crazy amount of information, diagnostics, programming various component modules and things only a Tech 2 can do.
Plus, the Field Service Manual has specific diagnostic tables that walk though Y/N steps. The instructions on what to do and what you should see on the display are all written in the FSM specifically for the Tech 2 device.

For the money, it is probably one of the best tools you could have.

$239 + $74 DHL shipping

Probably arrives in a week or less.

$140 extra for the hard case option.
Save the money and skip getting the hard case. Just find a backpack cooler to carry it around. Padded protection and easy carry with shoulder straps...

Other bi-directional scan tools are great to have. The Tech 2 just offers a load of other capabilities that can potentially save you a lot of money.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tech2 is nice.. I own one..

But the issue I have is that its only good for a certain year range, of GM only.

If I had to do my Tech2 purchase over, I would buy this instead, or the newer version of it.. like the Autel 906 or 908. It can do almost any car.

If you are after something for just the time being, that does ABS/SRS and diagnostics. I have the last generation of this, and its a great on the go tool.

(currently on a Amazon One Day sale for 38% off)

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Autel's REQUIRE an active subscription to function? When the subscription expires, then the tool is essentially useless?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It requires an active subscription for updates as far as I know, not for general use.. At least thats as far as I know.

We are talking about this specific unit on another forum at the moment..

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree it would be nice to have the flexibility for use on vehicles other than just older GM.

Considerations for me on going with Tech 2 over something like one of the Autels was just a little bit about price at the time of my purchase.
Maybe it was chip shortage in China, a year ago... But prices were higher. Even for the Tech 2, they have since come down in price.
But price was only a bit of a factor.

For me, I liked the idea of the Field Service Manual diagnostic and programming procedure tables were specifically written for the Tech 2 device.
Some of the built-in special test functions are worth their weight in gold!

I just thought, for the money, the Tech 2 might make life a lot easier while I own this 04 Tahoe (or maybe another after she's given up the ghost).

Someday, I think I might add a bi-directional tablet scanner to my toolbox so I can do other kinds of vehicles and late models too.
The Autel line has a great reputation and is an excellent value! When I get to that point, Autel is what I would be looking to get.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Autel 908 since, approximate seven years and i'm very satisfied. You can read out all cars worldwide and the updates are lifetime without costs. I don't know if the update opportunity is still toll-free or at all units. And I don't know if all Autel units can read out all cars. So check this before you buy one.

Until today I had very few problems only with some cars, I could not read out. Once I had and Airbag error on the Peugeot, where the Autel tells me that a sensor on the left side was making problems, but I turned out it was the right side.
And once I could not read the error codes of an Iveco Truck..

And due to the translation from Chinese into English or German, the error codes are sometimes have strange meanings, but you can always see the error code number and Google is your friend.

The opportunities given to reset car settings are mostly good, but I work mostly with German cars. I don't know how it is is on U.S. cars.

I can read out the error codes of the GMT800 and reset oil service.

So like i know it from some German manufactors like VW, i think the thing is:
If you only do GM cars, or only your GMT800 truck, a tech 2 would probably be a better choice and you have more opportunities.

If you do a lot of brands and different cars, the Autel is a very good solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts