Looking for a new vehicle; best Tahoe or Yukon in the past 7 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HughSeagraves

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a '99 Tahoe OBS which I love but it needs a lot of work to be where I want it (dateable condition) and I'm not a natural truck fixing guy nor do I have a place to work on it. So I'm thinking about getting something newer to replace it. What would be a good Tahoe or Yukon year to get in the past 7 years or so (I'll be financing it so it probably shouldn't be older than that). Any years to avoid? Also, forgive me, but what are opinions about the Trailblazer? I drive SUVs because I'm 6'6", not because I go off road (well, I have, but not so much anymore). Any advice would be appreciated.

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not expert enought to say this with absolute certainty, but I don't think there are any years of the 07+ model to absolutely avoid (someone correct me if im wrong) just depends on what exactly you're looking for.

You probably get a few more options standard in the newer year models (especially if your looking at LT and/or LTZ)
things like cooled seats and power-retractable running boards werent available for at least the first year or 2 (i think)

but there are plenty of used LT models that are practically fully loaded, for instance my 07 LT Z71 4x4 has just about everything (10-way pwr/heated seats, navi, dvd, sunroof, pwr fold mirrors, pwr fold 2nd row buckets, pwr liftgate, dual zone AC, bose stereo (actually not that great of a stereo...) rear view cam/sensors, etc)

bought it with only 30K miles and it was damn cheap cuz its the older of the models and warrenty had expired

now the 07/08 models have a 4-spd transmission and 09+ come with 6-spd, I have heard many say they like the 4-spd better cuz shifts less in hills etc, and some say they like 6-spd better for cruising rpms n such, im happy with my 4-spd thus far

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe look at the differential ratio too. I've read a lot of complaints about the 3.08 and 3.42's being sluggish off the line and feeling less respsonsive, where I have the 3.73 which I am pretty satisfied with, i think im at about 2100 rpm in 4th at 75mph, but id have to verify that again.
I probably dont quite get mpg's as the newer 3.08/.42s but i didnt buy a tahoe for gas mileage either

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
I'd recommend an 09+ with a 6 speed. The difference in power (felt power, at least) is tremendous between my 10 tahoe (5.3 6spd) and my 05 Sierra (5.3 4spd). Just a few HP more on the Tahoe, but the transmission makes huge difference. 3.42 on both as well.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
What kind of milage you looking at? Check the for sale section here as there are some you might find. Mine's in there lol

LaxinFish29

Reaction score
I'm not expert enought to say this with absolute certainty, but I don't think there are any years of the 07+ model to absolutely avoid (someone correct me if im wrong) just depends on what exactly you're looking for.

You probably get a few more options standard in the newer year models (especially if your looking at LT and/or LTZ)
things like cooled seats and power-retractable running boards werent available for at least the first year or 2 (i think)

but there are plenty of used LT models that are practically fully loaded, for instance my 07 LT Z71 4x4 has just about everything (10-way pwr/heated seats, navi, dvd, sunroof, pwr fold mirrors, pwr fold 2nd row buckets, pwr liftgate, dual zone AC, bose stereo (actually not that great of a stereo...) rear view cam/sensors, etc)

bought it with only 30K miles and it was damn cheap cuz its the older of the models and warrenty had expired

now the 07/08 models have a 4-spd transmission and 09+ come with 6-spd, I have heard many say they like the 4-spd better cuz shifts less in hills etc, and some say they like 6-spd better for cruising rpms n such, im happy with my 4-spd thus far

I have an 08 Burban LTZ and it has the power running boards. What I can't say for certain is if they came factory. It is possible they were added after or the Suburban differs from the Tahoe/Yukon. The fact that it only had 27k miles and completely stock when I purchased it a couple weeks ago leads me to believe it was factory.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the look of the Yukon, but I do like power, so for me the choice was easy. The only year of 4X4 Tahoe with the 6.2L, 2009.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I would recommend a trail blazer. I used to have a 02 4x4. Really comfy, 4x4 that works pretty good in clay, tows nice I used it to haul my 2dr a couple times, really roomy and mine had rear ac. It was clean and demolded and looked great. Sad I sold it but sis has it now. Also had some get up n go I could throw it sideways pretty easy

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

The newer ones have the ss option which is more sporty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz