Looking at a yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenskeeper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife wants a 3rd row SUV. I always buy used and drive them into the ground. At least 100k miles on the clock is ideal.

So I've found a 04 Yukon XL Denali 4x4 with just over 100k, asking around $5k.

Known problems with these trucks...stuff to look for...etc?

Thoughts?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife wants a 3rd row SUV. I always buy used and drive them into the ground. At least 100k miles on the clock is ideal.

So I've found a 04 Yukon XL Denali 4x4 with just over 100k, asking around $5k.

Known problems with these trucks...stuff to look for...etc?

Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum.

I am sure folks with some experience with that vintage Yukon will chime in here. Until then, check out the 2000-2006 section here on the forum.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pretty low miles and not a bad price for the mileage assuming its true. Yukon Denali 4wd? You mean AWD?

Common with higher mileage and depending on roads and terrain driven on. Suspension and steering parts need complete rebuild. Typically transmission and fuel pump dies around 110k-125k. Ground braided wire from firewall to engine block rear can corrode and cause ghost electrical problems. Air ride self level system probably dead but an easy rebuild. Motor should last atleast 300k, just change the oil. My 05 has well over 315k and still going strong.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, your statement "drive them into the ground" contradicts "known problems, stuff to look for?", to me stating I drive them into the ground sounds like you are not interested in any maintenance or anything and just want to drive it till it dies. lol
anyway 04 is a good year just do the regular maintenance there really isn't anything to "look out" for except normal stuff that any used car may suffer from general wear & tear. Learning about the particular vehicle and how it functions (or should function)and what features is has or does not have are important so you can determine if it is operating properly or not. Like Mike mentioned above the Denali trim will have air ride you can visually look under the truck and see if the shocks have good working bladders or not, you can squeeze them with your hand to see if they hold air, you can turn the key to run and listen for the air pump to run. you can run the Vin online and see what features it was built with that way you will know what to expect. you can also look over the owners manual online so you can find out how certain things operate and then check them when test driving.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 05 Denali with 99k on it about 9 years ago. I'm at 178k now.
  • My 4L65e took a poop earlier this year at 175k. Seems like most GM V8 half ton vehicles with a 4L6x have this problem eventually. I got mine rebuilt for $1500 and got a larger trans cooler installed while I was at it
  • Hubs and axles are wear parts, and are an every 3-4 year thing. Pretty cheap and easy to do yourself
  • Water pumps are also an every 3-4 year thing. Also pretty cheap and easy to do yourself
  • Rear autoride has gone out twice since I've owned it. Compressor was out when I bought it, and now the shock bags need to be replaced. Not hard to do yourself
  • The fuel system evap system has been a pain in the butt a couple times. There are only a few easily changed parts to it, but this last time my lines were clogged with the little pellets. I had to get those cleared at a shop, which kind of sucked.
I've had lots of different generations of GM trucks and SUVs, and this is prolly my overall favorite. At the risk of jinxing myself, the engines are pretty near bulletproof

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
willthom... You are making me nervous!! I bought my '05 Yukon XL SLT a year & a half ago with 144,000, and everything seems perfect..... The original owner changed the oil no more than 4,500 miles from new, and had all records ( vin check), serviced everything on schedule.

Are certain issues common to fail no matter what age/condition?

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, nothing is absolutely certain to happen. I'd put some money aside for that transmission though. For a 15 year old truck with 178k, I thought that was a pretty good list.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just bought a 2005 Tahoe, the one thing that I wished I had done is taken a good ODB reader with me. That's probably the first thing anyone here would do. After paying for mine and driving it home the ABS light came on. Also, the oil pressure gauge was pegged, a downstream O2 sensor went out and the airbag impact sensor was bad. Thankfully these are all easy to fix and relatively inexpensive. If I'd know about all these issues I might have gotten several hundred more off the price or would have walked away altogether.

I think it's dishonest for the seller to clean all codes right before the sale. It's not something that I would ever do but many people out there don't have a problem deceiving people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt