Long Term (<4 Years) Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading overseas for 4 years. What is the recommended way to store a vehicle like ours for that long?

Thank you.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill the tank with non ethanol premium fuel, add two bottles of Startron fuel stabilizer drive for 20 min to circulate. The rest depends on storage conditions, Will it be in a climate controlled garage?

OP
OP
EzSkAnKeN

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill the tank with non ethanol premium fuel, add two bottles of Startron fuel stabilizer drive for 20 min to circulate. The rest depends on storage conditions, Will it be in a climate controlled garage?

Thank you for the reply. Where we plan on storing it I highly doubt they have climate controlled units.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe look at one of those storage bubbles
to keep critters & dust & such out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For that long, I'd pay someone that has the place to keep it hang onto it and drive it around every week or two. Would be cheaper than repairing what all very well could go wrong if it sat. Old fuel can do costly damage. Temperature changes will make condensation build up in the engine and trans which can make the oils acidic and corrosive. The coolant might be the least of your worries, but still prone to degradation. All seals (A/C O-rings, power steering, axle, pinion, etc.) can dry out if left to sit for that long. Brake rotor and pad surfaces will rust. Then there's the squirrels and/or mice that will chew wiring and make nests. Spiders and other bugs...

All considered, you might be better off selling it, unless you're particularly attached to it. It's value in four years plus the cost of storing and/or maintaining it and then reconditioning it afterwards seems like it'd be a huge loss.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I live at and manage a self storage facility. We have some very nice vehicles stored here. I always tell them that they should come in at least 2 times a month and drive them and add fuel preservative at least. Some people do not listen though. They wish they had when they attempt to restart after 6 months to a year.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you really want to keep it and have no option other than long term storage I would do like Kaus said then be sure it has a full tank a new battery and make sure the onstar/wifi is paid up then make it a habit to autostart it (via the app) every 3 weeks for the 10 minute timer. After 4 years that would work out to 12 hours of run time probably almost exactly what you would get if you just idled a tank of fuel out. just a thought if it were me and had no other option.

MVR 155

Reaction score
I agree with iamdub....... Probably best to just sell it. The amount of depreciation coupled with storage fees/issues isn't even close to financially feasible. Over the course of 4 years even stabilized fuel will go bad, tires will flat spot to the point of needing replacement and you have a number of other risks such as rodents and simple oxidation of things. You will likely need to service the brakes due to corrosion, flush all fluids. Your battery if left on a tender may still be good? If you do decide to keep it, leaving it with someone who can drive it every few months (or even a couple times per year) would be best. Simply starting it with the app and letting it idle for 10 minutes monthly is definitely not a good idea. That is not enough time to burn off condensation in the exhaust, it's also not a great idea on a DI engine. It would likely do more harm than good. If it was some kind of rare exotic, this would be an entirely different discussion........ Selling it is by far and wide the best decision you can make in this situation.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading overseas for 4 years. What is the recommended way to store a vehicle like ours for that long?

Thank you.
i
lll give you 5k for it right now and your problem is solved...

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Rather than fuss with fuel stabilizer, I'd honestly just drain the fuel outright.

Toss a bunch of desiccants in the car

Hook up battery to a maintainer. Should work when you get back but it might be weak. Plan on replacing it soon after. Not sure I'd want it unhooked without power for 4 years. That's just asking for a bit flip somewhere.

Put rig up on jack stands else your tires will get flat spots. Or honestly, I'd just toss the cheapest used tires you can find on there for parking purposes and swap out when you come back. 4 year old tires even if new wouldn't be great by the time you come back anyway. Rubber hardens

Disconnect spark, fuel, fog the cylinders

Fresh change of oil before you go out. Honestly it should be fine without an oil change when you get back provided it's not sitting somewhere humid. Just put the rig into flood clear mode and crank it for 15-20 seconds to prime everything again.

I'd look into some sort of car cover if it's indoors. Outdoors, go without. It'd be more apt to provide a home for moisture and critters.

Some sort of critter repellent around the car like moth balls or peppermint oil. Someone will need to replenish those as needed. Don't use killer else you're apt to have a mouse crawl in your airbox and die.

Barring a car cover, you might look into those bubble things with some desiccant thrown in.

Make sure you haven't used the a/c recently - no moisture in the air box

Remove paper filters - cabin, engine. Because critter food.

That's about all that pops into mind. Bear in mind that soft parts will will dry out over time anyway. Tires / wipers. Battery would be 50/50 too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA