Long Road Trip in Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family and I just took a road trip from Utah to NY/NJ/PA, down to VA, back to NJ and then back to Utah via I 90 and the Black Hills, SD. Our 09 Denali XL AWD performed flawlessly. I averaged about 18 mpg, cruising at between 70-80mph. Highest was about 22 mpg cruising at 80mph thru Wyoming (east bound) then about 15 mpg heading west bound thru Wyoming. 30-40 mph winds will affect gas mileage. We used the trunk area for luggage (about 5 suitcases, emergency kit and other gear), 3rd row for gifts (on the way there) and souvenirs (on the way home). We visited relatives from NY to VA, toured NYC, Philly, went to see a Phillies game, nephew's wedding, Busch Gardens and Mt Rushmore (at night).

OEM NAV is stupid though. I learned not to trust it as I knew a quicker route most of the time. Then it routed me thru stop and go Chicago traffic (on Sunday). We drove about 5400 miles over about 19 days thru 16 states (some twice).

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM NAV is stupid though. I learned not to trust it as I knew a quicker route most of the time. Then it routed me thru stop and go Chicago traffic (on Sunday). We drove about 5400 miles over about 19 days thru 16 states (some twice).

Amen to that. I've ranted a couple of times here on what a third rate piece of crapola that thing is. In 17k miles of road trips so far, mine has gotten me lost/wrong road/bad route numerous times. Garmin - never once gotten me lost. If it is the least bit iffy I have started using my Garmin as a backup which is really pathetic for such an expensive automobile.

If you have never used a decent GPS I suggest you don't. Then you won't realize how BAD the GM unit is.

I called the Nav office and griped...waste of time. The next release doesn't have any improvements..just upgraded maps. So it will still get you lost... but in new and wonderful ways.

Just got back from a 30 day, 7k trip, from SoCal to Florida myself. My experience similar to yours. Averaged about 18mpg for the trip. Very comfortable ride.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not just GM. alot of OE NAVs out there suck. Toyota's certainly hasnt earned any followers. Thats why most people nowadays prefer to go with the highest stereo sans nav and get an easy (read cheap) to update, easy to use, able to use while driving, etc aftermarket nav. our 99 buck TomTom hasnt let us down once and we dont have to worry about it getting stolen out of the car/truck etc in the hotel parking lot.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a long, but nice trip! It is good to hear some decent mileage numbers for once. I always get pretty good mileage with my Tahoe, but most people I hear from seem to think otherwise, so it is nice for a change!

I have the OEM navigation in my Tahoe, but don't use the navigation part enough to know. I would rather rely on my Garmin, with lifetime maps updates, and my phone. Actually, my android phone with google maps I find to be really dependable when I need it.

OP
OP
P

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wishing I had my Kenwood NAV from my 08 Vette. A lot easier to operate and 100 times more accurate. Building a smart NAV is not hard. The car manufacturers just don't want to pay a company like Garmin to do it right. (Kenwood's are Garmin-based).

Carolina Boy

Reaction score
I was wishing I had my Kenwood NAV from my 08 Vette. A lot easier to operate and 100 times more accurate. Building a smart NAV is not hard. The car manufacturers just don't want to pay a company like Garmin to do it right. (Kenwood's are Garmin-based).

Good choice! I love the dnx7180 in my vette!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts