Like to know mileage left on low fuel light to empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bravo2

Reaction score
I like to get a idea, I have a 2000 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L and like to find out how long from the time the low fuel light comes on I got before out of gas? I like to know like a avg mileage and gallons left if there is avg between everyone who owns a 2000-2004 models, I guess a chevy in these years would be the same right? My vehicle is new to me so I do not got mine figured out yet. I got down to low light like one mark above the red empty mark. Some cars will go way down below that mark and I do not know if these vehicles are like that.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
I know that when I stop for gas once the light comes on, I put a solid 22 gallons in it. I think out tanks are what, 24 gallons?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know i can get at least 20 more miles out of mine, i could get more but thats good enough for me, and also im sure each occurance will be different depending on terrain, traffic, etc. but you could perhaps get like a 5 gallon gas jug and fill it up and just ride til u run out and dump that in there

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive run over 20+ miles once the light came on...was too scared to push it past that

04Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Hoe has a 26 gal tank. I know I have roughly 40-60 miles left when the light comes on.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah...26 gallon tank on mine. When that light comes on I find a gas station. I don't like to push my luck, especially when one accident on icy streets can hold you in gridlock for an hour. There goes your gas.

Theoretically, I think I have about 40 miles left, but that's assuming I'm actually moving while burning the fuel.

04Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, don't forget the Fuel Pumps are prone to go out in these.

They say to keep the tank half full to cool the pump.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made a point to find out myself. When my light came on, i drove over 40 miles to the gas station and only put about 23-24 gls in, so I had 2 gals left in the tank but I was scared to push it more since running out of fuel on the fuel injection vehicles is not a good thing for the injectors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts