Lightly smoked tail lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I saw a white diamond Tahoe on the highway the other day with very lightly smoked OEM tails, and honestly it looked great. I'm considering doing the same to my Suburban (also WDT).

Thing is, most of the smoked tails I find are either non-OEM style or are way, way too dark. I like my OEM tails, and I want to keep the glossy look. I want the tint to be lighter, and not block any of the light when braking. The tails on the Tahoe I saw you could clearly still see the red, it was just a tiny bit darker, like you were looking at the tails through sunglasses.

Is this something I could do myself with a film like this ? Even though it says it's "light black," the tails in the example pictures look pretty dark. In fact, most tint films I've looked up seem to make the tail light nearly black, or matte, which are looks I can't stand. Any help would be appreciated.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont waste yer time with plasti dip smoke its a pain in the ass to get even coverage i used rustoleum lens tint i was able to get a a nice even glossy coat
oh and for the love of christ do not i repeat do not use vht nightshades i tried it twice on my tahoe lights and it immediatly started cracking and once it drys its like cement its a ***** to get off some people have good results with it i did not i had best results with the rustoleum lenstint it was a bit more forgiving then the VHT

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Niteshade works great. You have to wet sand the shit out of it and add clear

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see there yah go
some people have great luck with it and some dont

see when i applied it i immediatly started getting cracks in the coat everywhere

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I bought my tails already tinted but my Esky 3rd I had to tint. I had a painter at my shop take some clear coat and mix in some black paint. Sprayed in costs until I was happy with the end result

OP
OP
MichaelSE

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I might try Niteshades in light coats.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
careful with the vht nightshades its not forgiving
if you notice a crack in the coat right after you applied it stop do not continue or ltry to blend it or something stop what yer doing and get some i think laquer thinner does the trick and get tha shit off there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924