Driver side Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon Denali. Tail Lights have been problematic. But I have never had this issue and cant find it already posted. Here is the issue. My driver side top two lights are dark for standard "lights on" mode. They work fine for turn signal and flashers and brake light. I just changed bulbs and that did not work. So is there a fuse that covers "lights on". I have gone through the owners manual and both fuse panel guides. Nothing jumps out like Driver Side Tail Lights.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bob

OP
OP
P

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes thank you happy to do that but not certain how to check the grounds? Can you guide me to a how to do it resource? Appreciate your response!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes thank you happy to do that but not certain how to check the grounds? Can you guide me to a how to do it resource? Appreciate your response!
Not sure how much knowledge you have with electrical diagnostics or what tools you have. Do you have a Test light? Multi-meter?

OP
OP
P

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have neither so kinda over my skis with this....I will find outside help no worries. I understand it must be something like that since both bulbs are acting right for all other functions except standard tail light illumination. When fixed I would close the thread with the actual solve for future reference.

Again kind thanks!

Bob

OP
OP
P

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before I went to a mechanic I bought a fuse tester to find any fuses in the light family that were out. Did not take long. Engine compartment fuse box number 26 was dead. The name "Driver Side Parking Lamps" fingers crossed there is not a short we'll see. So if you ever have a double rear tail lights out check these steps first. Still not certain how tail lights are parking lamps but that is maybe just me! TGIF

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before I went to a mechanic I bought a fuse tester to find any fuses in the light family that were out. Did not take long. Engine compartment fuse box number 26 was dead. The name "Driver Side Parking Lamps" fingers crossed there is not a short we'll see. So if you ever have a double rear tail lights out check these steps first. Still not certain how tail lights are parking lamps but that is maybe just me! TGIF

They were parking lights long before side marker lights were invented and mandated.

OP
OP
P

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They were parking lights long before side marker lights were invented and mandated.
I never have heard of that thank you Fless in all my years in cars and classic cars.

Open to forum my fuse blew today so that was not fix. Any thoughts welcome.

Top two tail lights driver side will do all light functions except light as tail lights. Has anyone shared that fail or know likely fix?

Thanks!
Bob

OP
OP
P

polara6t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So back and the fuse blew again so we have a short problem. What color wire is for the top 2 tail right functions when lights are on. Any guidance? Taking to a mechanic tomorrow so welcome thoughts

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem but it didn't blow my fuse (would be easier if it did!).

Hmmmm. Some people say look for a broken ground. But in your case I think a ground wire is not the issue as you are blowing a fuse. You need to look for the wire carrying power that is grounding out (touching some metal). It could be in the light switch itself. You may try putting in a new fuse and turning on Running Lights mode during the day to see if the fuse blows. That would indicate a light switch which you can replace easily.

In my case I have power from the fuse. I will check the light switch for power coming out today and if that is good then follow the wiring back to the light assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019