Light Truck Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCMPTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all! Noob here, but learned a lot already!
Have a 12 Hoe PPV and have added the factory hitch rebar and bought a brand new set of Goodyear Enforcers....to replace the studded tires it came with. I tow a heavy trailer and the Enforcers wobble all over the place so I feel I need to go with a 10 ply light truck tire. I'm having a heluva time trying to find one from any manufacturer.
265 60 R17
Has anyone found an LT tire with load rating E or higher?
I do plan on re-gearing the 308s eventually....IMG_20200504_1718381.jpg

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a load range E tire your going to have to step the size up to a 265/70r17... it will actually ride softer as well due to a little bigger sidewall...

OP
OP
R

RCMPTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked into 265/ 70 R17s. They are a taller tire by an inch, meaning it will throw off the gearing adversely. I tow about 6500 lbs regularly and already have an issue with gearing. I just ordered a new shifter with the tow/haul option so hopefully that helps.
By going to a load rating E tire, im trying to avoid a softer ride. The soft ride of the Enforcers is whats causing the trailer to wobble.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Folks are already chiming in to offer suggestions to your question.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditch those Firestone PPV tires. Step up to the 265/70/17 tires like others have said. Or buy the factory 20”s or 22”s wheels used of Craigslist or something.

if your worried about the shifting being off, get a diablosport programmer. You can reprogram anything you want (tire size, shift points, AFM/DOD delete). The savings in buying the right sized tires will save tons and pay for the programmer with the savings.

listen to those on this forum. We all went through trial and errors... I spent a ton to learn the hard way.

and yes, buy the new shifter with tow/haul.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried putting more air in the rear tires - they are probably not inflated for max load.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into 265/ 70 R17s. They are a taller tire by an inch, meaning it will throw off the gearing adversely. I tow about 6500 lbs regularly and already have an issue with gearing. I just ordered a new shifter with the tow/haul option so hopefully that helps.
By going to a load rating E tire, im trying to avoid a softer ride. The soft ride of the Enforcers is whats causing the trailer to wobble.
The softer ride will come from the taller side wall... being a load range E tire it is not going to wobble like the 4 or 6 plys you have now... I run 10 plys on my suburban and wont hesitate to push it into a curve...

OP
OP
R

RCMPTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Folks are already chiming in to offer suggestions to your question.

Thanks for the welcome!

So, I have increased tire pressure to the max rated 51psi....the ride is much more stable, but passing a bus or truck still pushes me sideways a bit and its a bit tricky to correct the steering at times. I still think I need to upgrade to 20" rims and 10 ply tires as suggested....Thanks for that!

I installed the tow/haul shifter and that made a world of difference. The trans was constantly dropping a gear before. now that the RPMs are kept a little higher, its able to maintain the torque.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 that I can sell you....I've since gone over to HPTuners for my dyno tunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN