Liftgate exterior window switch replacement - I'm stuck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtanderson324

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM part number is 15798062

Figured I'd pass along the part number, given to me by my local Chevrolet Parts department - 15798062. I saved about $10 buying it online vs. the parts department. I haven't received the part yet, but i'll follow what others have done and hope it works.

Just for reference, the parts department told me the name of the part is "Switch for Liftgate Window Release".

Works on several models, I'll be putting it on a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban.

graymatters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info on this switch

Just wanted to say thank you in advance. I just noticed the rubber on my switch rotting away today. I was able to save the button inside.

Any chance that I can buy just the rubber seal part?

Now that I know I can replace this part easily from the outside I do not mind so much having to get a new switch.

Thanks!

graymatters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ACDelco D1994E replacement for 1579-8062 OEM

Just wanted to say thank you in advance. I just noticed the rubber on my switch rotting away today. I was able to save the button inside.

Any chance that I can buy just the rubber seal part?

Now that I know I can replace this part easily from the outside I do not mind so much having to get a new switch.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I was able to find this on Amazon as AC Delco PN D1994E for HALF the dealer price. I have Amazon prime so with Free 2-Day shipping I can wait till Tuesday.
:head3:

dkman610

Reaction score
Success!!!

Okay gang, took me a few weeks (and a $45 part at the dealership) but I got it done.
All you have to do is carefully break out the entire part, (I ended up taking a needle nosed pliers and a pick) and got one side popped out by sticking the pick up towards one side of the expandable clip. I had a hard time doing the same with the other side so I just ended up carefully breaking it out of there. When I pulled it down/out the cable was pretty short so I had to hold the clip that was attached to the switch so it wouldn't recoil back up into the tailgate but as soon as I snapped on the new switch the glass popped open. I snapped the switch back up into its own housing and saved myself the $240 the dealership quoted me (with part) to do, it only took 5 total minutes with my uncle helping out.

Last edited:

crotonevans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought on ebay for 19. $ like amazon s price got free shipping and took 5 min to break old one out and new in thank u all so much
big help

CAPT75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I'll have to be removing the appliqué on my 2007 Denali. Had body work done and apparently they didn't hook up the wiring harness correctly and now neither of the license plate lights illuminate. So the only way to remove it is to remove the interior panel? The button for the whole power lift hate also broke on me. Does anyone have the part number for that too?

Mike M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great site and great thread.

I just registered on the site. I have an 08 Denali with about 60k miles.
I use this button all the time, and eventually wore the rubber pad completely out. Thanks to Ridgelines post I ordered the switch, and replaced it in a few minutes. Got the part @ www.gmpartsdirect.com. $27 with free shipping code "freeship", and didn't have any Dow time at the dealer. Thanks to all.

Mike M.

EEClem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another option for purchase

I found this tread just in time. I was going to bring my 07 Tahoe in to have this fixed. After reading all the advice, I canceled my appointment and found the piece at rockauto.Com for about $22.00 total with 3-6 day shipping. I'll try remember to update when I get it replaced. Thanks guys!

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife insisted on replacing the switch herself when we found ours was bad. she's mildly mechanically inclined and had it done in less than 15 minutes, thanks to previous posts like this!