Liftgate exterior window switch replacement - I'm stuck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liftgate exterior window switch replacement

Stopped by the local dealership and got a new exterior window switch for the liftgate. No idea how, but the previous owner managed to tear the button clean off so I have to use a pen to reach up in there and pop the glass. I have pulled the interior trim panel off of the liftgate, and I'm trying to unbolt the rear trim piece above the license plate (that the rear bowtie is attached to) so that I can gain access to the damn thing from the inside and throw the new switch in there. There are four 10mm nuts that hold the trim piece on (one of which is only accessible by removing the rear wiper motor...ugh).

Problem: the studs are spinning with the nuts, and nothing is loosening up. What gives here? Are these a one-time use thing that shear off and need to be replaced? It almost looks like the studs are made of plastic. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'd sure hate to run back to the dealership with the ass end of my truck all torn apart and say, "here, fix this"....but not sure what else to do.

Anyone have to replace one of these switches before?

For reference, here is the part number and the part I'm replacing:
IMG_20130430_145842_zpsb26cde6f.jpg
IMG_20130430_145854_zps6917265d.jpg

Here is the piece I'm trying to remove - it's the small trim piece that the bowtie and license plate lamps are mounted to:
IMG_20130430_145905_zps29f04f87.jpg

And why I'm replacing it..the old button is gone:
IMG_20130430_145914_zps63908c6a.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, have fun with that. you should have bought a new applique since you will bust yours getting it off. It's VERY easy to replace that button, once you get the applique off.

I have a spare button I'll send you if you want to return the one you bought... jus sayin...

I've removed the applique a few times, but let me look for instructions on how to get it off.... brb

Here's some of my pics of the broken mounts on page 2

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48234

and many more threads about it...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44482

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44994&highlight=applique

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man...I searched and searched but I guess I wasn't using the right terms. I'll take a look at those threads and see what I'm up against.

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, have fun with that. you should have bought a new applique since you will bust yours getting it off. It's VERY easy to replace that button, once you get the applique off.

I have a spare button I'll send you if you want to return the one you bought... jus sayin...

I've removed the applique a few times, but let me look for instructions on how to get it off.... brb

Here's some of my pics of the broken mounts on page 2

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48234

and many more threads about it...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44482

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44994&highlight=applique

This is the very button im looking for. I wouldnt blame the previous owner too much. the button is held in by a rubber seal. Once that deteriorates the plastic piece that pushes the switch falls out. I never use that button and mine fell off during a wash.

Nathan. Ill certinaly buy that butotn off of you if you still have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the local dealership and got a new exterior window switch for the liftgate. No idea how, but the previous owner managed to tear the button clean off so I have to use a pen to reach up in there and pop the glass. I have pulled the interior trim panel off of the liftgate, and I'm trying to unbolt the rear trim piece above the license plate (that the rear bowtie is attached to) so that I can gain access to the damn thing from the inside and throw the new switch in there. There are four 10mm nuts that hold the trim piece on (one of which is only accessible by removing the rear wiper motor...ugh).

Problem: the studs are spinning with the nuts, and nothing is loosening up. What gives here? Are these a one-time use thing that shear off and need to be replaced? It almost looks like the studs are made of plastic. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'd sure hate to run back to the dealership with the ass end of my truck all torn apart and say, "here, fix this"....but not sure what else to do.

Anyone have to replace one of these switches before?

For reference, here is the part number and the part I'm replacing:
IMG_20130430_145842_zpsb26cde6f.jpg
IMG_20130430_145854_zps6917265d.jpg

Here is the piece I'm trying to remove - it's the small trim piece that the bowtie and license plate lamps are mounted to:
IMG_20130430_145905_zps29f04f87.jpg

And why I'm replacing it..the old button is gone:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fuzz.... had same exact problem as you... I was able to install this switch in less than a minute. if you see in the pic of your old button. there is a ring of dry rotted rubber. that used to be a like a full cap that covers the plunger to the switch and holds it in. take a thin screwdriver or pick of some sort and remove the dry rotted ring. once you do it will create just enough "slop" in the mounting of the switch in the hole that you can get to the two tabs to push them in just enough to pop it out without removing anything.

OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JP, you rock buddy! Sure enough, after having the damn replacement switch sitting in my cupholder for over three months, I finally popped the old one out tonight through the bottom of the applique!

It took a little more time to fanagle the old switch out than I expected because of the way it had turned in the hole (tabs were front to back rather than side to side, kinda hard to get to), but it still only took about 5 minutes. New switch works perfectly, it's great to be able to pop the glass now without using the remote!

:everything:

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Glad to hear it work easy for you. So much better that pulling that appliqué off and spending half a day jb Welding the tabs back that you break during removal.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for sounding stupid ,but my plunger fell out today
Mine looks just like the pick do I leave the red circled parts in there and just insert new part?
thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20130430_145914_zps63908c6a.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
TheFuzz

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, once the plunger falls out you need to order a whole new switch assembly, it's about $35 bucks at the dealer.

Outside your outer-most red circle, you'll notice the dry rotted piece of rubber gasket. Remove it using a awl or pick (or flathead screwdriver if you're careful), and that will allow you to get enough play in the switch to pry it down a little and depress the tabs holding it in. Once you get the replacement switch in hand, you'll be able to see the tabs I'm referring to. Pull the old switch assembly down and out until you can see the connector. Unplug the old one, plug the new on in, and shove the whole thing back up into the hold until it seats.

You may not be able to pull the female part of the plug completely down and out of the hole; on mine it was just a hair to big to fit through and I didn't want to force it because the applique is already a little loose. Just hold the plug with a pair of channel locks or pliers on the little angled tab that sticks out, and you can plug the switch right in without issues.

dkman610

Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG!!
I was so happy to find this thread!
I noticed a few days ago that my formerly perfect button was NO LONGER THERE!! The rubber had wilted/rotted and there was nothing behind it! Although the rubber did not have any holes in it for anything to fall out! I am in the belief that someone possibly stole it! Not that this is the point anymore, but now that there is nothing in there, and I tore the rubber off, do I just go and get a new part and just slide it up in there? Does the new part come with a new piece of rubber to help hold it up in there? I'm reading each thread but each answer seems to be a little different. Thank you all for this though!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts