Liftgate diagnosis help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

A few weeks ago on my 2008 Denali XL the liftgate stopped working automatically. Switch set to open in side, push the button and no lift. You don't hear the motor run either. That said, the lock mechanism always hums and runs. I suppose it is unlocking or locking (not sure). I will replace both struts as they are weak. I just checked the fuse box and #42 is labeled as lift gate lock 15A. It's not blown. Also, when you do push the interior button to open, rear lights flash, you hear the hum of the lock disengaging and then nothing.

I just wanted to know if there is a diagnosis process or if I need to get into the motor to know what is wrong--or if worse, the motor has failed and I should simply replace. I just read a few comments in other places that say there is also a Liftgate Motor Control Module. Any way to know if the issue is the motor or the module? The motor looks to be $300 and the module is close to that price. Hate to try one and lose that cash to find out its the other part.

Thx

TKH

Last edited:

MonoAnt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to replace the latch, sounds crazy but its usually the problem. Had same issue with my 08, replaced the latch all is good

ur dad

OP
OP
M

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to replace the latch, sounds crazy but its usually the problem. Had same issue with my 08, replaced the latch all is good

ur dad

I bought a new latch (amazon) put it in and the motor didn't run. So apparently that isn't it. Keep in mind the door locks and unlocks electronically, as if the latch is doing its job. You can hear the latch operate, just no motor. I'm inclined to buy a new motor, but not sure if I'm over looking something else that could cause ths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrale