Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mel Chapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased my 2021 Yukon SLT in February of this year. 5k miles on it.. SUV was driving very rough, shaking as though it wanted to shut down.. Several alerts/alarms on dash -engine light, front collateral , traction light, emissions control. Had vehicle towed and was told I had bad lifters with bent rods .. I have no idea what this even means. Found out later that this is a motor issue.. How can this happen to a new vehicle ? I have had 3 brand new Toyota four runners and had never experienced anything like this.. My first GMC purchase and I am disgusted . I do not trust this vehicle to be safe anymore . What is your experience once these are replaced ? What will my resale value be ? Is this recorded on car max ? I will definitely be trading this in ASAP .. and will never ever buy a GMC

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
out trollin are we ???

if true, which i highly doubt, the LIFTER ISSUE ( caused by DOD) if a very well known risk to all new 1500 series GM V8 gas engines

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 12 Escalade's and 2 Tahoe's, and live in upstate NY where is snows in feet, I pull stuck four runners out every year. Could you have bent push rods and bad lifters, sure anything is possible, maybe owner misuse. Have you had it checked for any stored error codes?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have already made your decision, regarding your GMC truck. One wonders why you even bothered to join this Forum.

However, you absolutely have a right to your opinions, and the right to make decisions, based upon those opinions. And, I support that.

I wish you the best of outcomes.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased my 2021 Yukon SLT in February of this year. 5k miles on it.. SUV was driving very rough, shaking as though it wanted to shut down.. Several alerts/alarms on dash -engine light, front collateral , traction light, emissions control. Had vehicle towed and was told I had bad lifters with bent rods .. I have no idea what this even means. Found out later that this is a motor issue.. How can this happen to a new vehicle ? I have had 3 brand new Toyota four runners and had never experienced anything like this.. My first GMC purchase and I am disgusted . I do not trust this vehicle to be safe anymore . What is your experience once these are replaced ? What will my resale value be ? Is this recorded on car max ? I will definitely be trading this in ASAP .. and will never ever buy a GMC

Welcome to TYF. The lifter problem on the 8 cyl GMs is a common one. Several recent buyers have posted they are selling their recently purchased GM SUVs.

Nothing in your post can be disputed as GM has opened itself to criticism from a quality standpoint. As a former GM employee I suspect declining quality has much to do with replacing experienced engineers and employees with lower paid and less experienced personnel. I remember once while doing calibration in the Delco Labs a young mechanical engineer doing testing and data gathering analysis on electrical devices in temperature controlled chambers. As an electrician I tried to help him as much as I possibly could GM was always putting employees in helpless situations as everyone in their eyes was interchangeable. Continual cost cutting while maintaining quality is an art and GM isn't a very good artist. Let's hope they improve.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF. The lifter problem on the 8 cyl GMs is a common one. Several recent buyers have posted they are selling their recently purchased GM SUVs.

Nothing in your post can be disputed as GM has opened itself to criticism from a quality standpoint. As a former GM employee I suspect declining quality has much to do with replacing experienced engineers and employees with lower paid and less experienced personnel. I remember once while doing calibration in the Delco Labs a young mechanical engineer doing testing and data gathering analysis on electrical devices in temperature controlled chambers. As an electrician I tried to help him as much as I possibly could GM was always putting employees in helpless situations as everyone in their eyes was interchangeable. Continual cost cutting while maintaining quality is an art and GM isn't a very good artist. Let's hope they improve.
Heck that's happening all over ! I sold my business ( Precision Aerospace machine shop) years back because the talent pool I needed was drying up. My top 10 people out of appx 80 were retiring in the next 5 years and I knew they were 80% of the reason we were profitable. Most people today... a job is a job... Nothing to get excited or passionate about, that for sure. My older employees took extreme pride in their jobs, never missed a day or came in drunk or stoned. They also actually worked their 10 hour shift, not playing on their phones or sneaking out to smoke or vape.
As suspected... my thoughts came true, as within 2 years of the sale they went from Highly profitable to break even or losses and the good people flat out quit or retired early due to poor management. They have never done well since... It has to be tough trying to be a highly esteemed quality business/supplier to critical industries today.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck that's happening all over ! I sold my business ( Precision Aerospace machine shop) years back because the talent pool I needed was drying up. My top 10 people out of appx 80 were retiring in the next 5 years and I knew they were 80% of the reason we were profitable. Most people today... a job is a job... Nothing to get excited or passionate about, that for sure. My older employees took extreme pride in their jobs, never missed a day or came in drunk or stoned. They also actually worked their 10 hour shift, not playing on their phones or sneaking out to smoke or vape.
As suspected... my thoughts came true, as within 2 years of the sale they went from Highly profitable to break even or losses and the good people flat out quit or retired early due to poor management. They have never done well since... It has to be tough trying to be a highly esteemed quality business/supplier to critical industries today.
Though it sounds that poor management hastened the inevitable. Hiring from a pool of an increasingly indignant population would be a daunting task especially finding managers who can make or break systems that were once quite efficient. Our plant once hired a guard off the gate as a skilled trades supervisor. He knew nothing about the trades or managing and was a real bonehead. It was demoralizing to work for him. GM always had a pattern of self destruction, the nightmares are less frequent as the years go by.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You bought a first year complete redesign model in which a narrow run of VINs have some faulty parts in their engine. Your 3 4-Runners were all the same and the design hadn't changed in a long long time, apples to oranges comparison.

Once your engine is replaced, the vehicle will continue to be fantastic and will offer a level of luxury and performance that a 4-Runner isn't even designed to compete with.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Every manufacturer is working to cut costs. The good ones have been doing it since the beginning of time and that's why they're still around. The fact that dealers are replacing these lifters with fixed parts tells me the supplier produced a bad batch.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is your build date?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy