Lifter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question about all these lifter issues. The consensus is that it's caused by the DFM/AFM or fuel management acronym du jour.

So...Once my lifters fail and are repaired, won't a repeat failure be expected? DFM is still activated so what's to prevent future trouble.?

waynehead99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long term… possibly. I am just now learning up on this topic myself. The consensus right now is that 2021 is more an issue because of a bad batch of lifters by one of GM’s suppliers.

I am anxiously waiting for the Range Tech unit to support the 2021s so that I can disable the feature, but more so because I don’t like the lag in the engine switching to full cylinder usage and notice it sometimes feels like its hunting between cylinders.

All the manufactures are doing something similar in fuel management to try and get that “better” rating for MPG, and my guess overall is that we will see in about 10 to 15 yrs if these engines will still be usable without major work.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting fact for you guys to explore.

I was informed by a GM Master Tech, that if your truck has to have the lifters replaced, GM will or is extending your powertrain/engine warranty out to 100,000 miles.

So I would ensure to ask about this if you run into this situation.

MarkUps

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting fact for you guys to explore.

I was informed by a GM Master Tech, that if your truck has to have the lifters replaced, GM will or is extending your powertrain/engine warranty out to 100,000 miles.

So I would ensure to ask about this if you run into this situation.
well i go the 7yr/125k to be safe lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about all these lifter issues. The consensus is that it's caused by the DFM/AFM or fuel management acronym du jour.

So...Once my lifters fail and are repaired, won't a repeat failure be expected? DFM is still activated so what's to prevent future trouble.?
AFM/DFM worst enemy is dirty oil. Running the wrong viscosity, non-Dexos approved oil and extended oil changes (5K+ miles) and folks are asking for trouble. For the most part the lifters work just fine, it is when the solenoid gets out of time or fails that causes the lifter to jam up and worse.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFM/DFM worst enemy is dirty oil. Running the wrong viscosity, non-Dexos approved oil and extended oil changes (5K+ miles) and folks are asking for trouble. For the most part the lifters work just fine, it is when the solenoid gets out of time or fails that causes the lifter to jam up and worse.
I agree with that statement, but lifters dropping on a 3-5000 mile motor is another issue

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree with that statement, but lifters dropping on a 3-5000 mile motor is another issue

Could it be that the extra debris in the oil from the new engine breaking in is comparable to gunk in the system from an aged engine ran with dirty oil?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is a timing problem, not ignition but timing of the DFM solenoids. I can't imagine how to figure all that out when every cylinder now has its own solenoid and any combination of cylinders can be dropped for increased fuel efficiency.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is a timing problem, not ignition but timing of the DFM solenoids. I can't imagine how to figure all that out when every cylinder now has its own solenoid and any combination of cylinders can be dropped for increased fuel efficiency.
Bad lifters are bad lifters? So time will tell