Lifted Caddy throws me around over bumps, uneven roads,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mordechai

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out this extremely annoying problem. I'm lifted on a 6 inch Fabtech lift but used to be on a 7.5 inch RC lift and I've tried factory struts, RC upgraded struts, and Bilstein 5100 struts with no difference in this feeling. I've had Bilstein 5100s in the rear the entire time its been lifted since a year ago but Bilstein is supposed to be good so I've never thought that to be a problem. Tried replacing all the sway bar bushings and end links as well put spherical end links up front which helped a bit but not enough, also tried different rear springs and wheel and tire setups to no avail. Was thinking of going to a solid rear sway bar maybe? Not sure.

I have no idea how to describe this feeling, going over certain bumps (not all) and uneven roads will make the truck go from side to side HARD throwing me around a decent amount. Especially on the freeway it feels a bit unstable especially in bends. It often makes me feel sick due to having to drive lots of freeway, as well as makes my body hurt from trying to keep my body straight and not be thrown around by my truck. Its been like this since I lifted it. Is this just normal lifted behavior or do I have an issue? All of my control arm & cv angles are good. Please help

Thank you

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out this extremely annoying problem. I'm lifted on a 6 inch Fabtech lift but used to be on a 7.5 inch RC lift and I've tried factory struts, RC upgraded struts, and Bilstein 5100 struts with no difference in this feeling. I've had Bilstein 5100s in the rear the entire time its been lifted since a year ago but Bilstein is supposed to be good so I've never thought that to be a problem. Tried replacing all the sway bar bushings and end links as well put spherical end links up front which helped a bit but not enough, also tried different rear springs and wheel and tire setups to no avail. Was thinking of going to a solid rear sway bar maybe? Not sure.

I have no idea how to describe this feeling, going over certain bumps (not all) and uneven roads will make the truck go from side to side HARD throwing me around a decent amount. Especially on the freeway it feels a bit unstable especially in bends. It often makes me feel sick due to having to drive lots of freeway, as well as makes my body hurt from trying to keep my body straight and not be thrown around by my truck. Its been like this since I lifted it. Is this just normal lifted behavior or do I have an issue? All of my control arm & cv angles are good. Please help

Thank you

What's your panhard bar situation?

OP
OP
Mordechai

Mordechai

Reaction score
What's your panhard bar situation?
Factory bar with the lifts brackets. Fabtech brackets are a lot more beefy and bigger than the RC was but it didn't change this problem. Tried to get a quick pic of the bracket. The angles of everything are good.PXL_20210828_234920702.NIGHT.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe throw some helper bags in the springs and air them up and see if that helps? there not that expensive, maybe the springs are not stiff enough? I don't know just an idea to try, might make the ride rougher but less prone to swaying a bigger sway bar probably wouldn't hurt either

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
What you describe is pretty much normal for any lifted vehicle, or any stock vehicle with a high seating position. Geometry: the farther up you go, the more side to side distance your seat travels for each degree of roll.

Stiff anti-roll bars can make this felt even more because the motion in response to uneven surfaces is more rapid.

A stiff suspension on a low vehicle is nice and sporty, but you’re close to the roll axis and you don’t feel much movement.

If you have any experience with larger boats or ships, this is exactly the same phenomenon. Down on the lower deck motions are small. Climb up in the crow’s nest and it’s a wild ride.

Since being thrown side to side hard is apparently your biggest complaint, I’d disconnect one or both swaybars and test drive it. Cautiously. Are there upgraded poly bushings or other harder than normal components in the roll bar bushings or links? Sounds like you need a softer suspension, not a stiffer one like many upgraded struts etc. are designed for.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you
Ok, so basically stock panhard bar and control arms out back? The panhard bar and lower control arms are stamped and can flex. You might be a good candidate for adjustable, solid, pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne