Leveling kit and spindle lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this kit when I get my new front end kit, it comes with extended shocks. Would this be good to go without adding a 3" spindle? Which also brings me to another question, if I get a lifted spindle will I have to get a new upper control arm??
Like above the spindle will help keep your steering geometry the same
Upper control arms would help but not needed depending on how high you go but it would help the ride.
Shock extenders if you don’t replace your shocks with proper length ones.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Did you purchase this truck new, or did you purchase it used? I'm asking, because from your 1 photo, it seems that your truck is sitting lower than I would expect to see from a stock height. Is it possible that it has been lowered?

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Did you purchase this truck new, or did you purchase it used? I'm asking, because from your 1 photo, it seems that your truck is sitting lower than I would expect to see from a stock height. Is it possible that it has been lowered

Did you purchase this truck new, or did you purchase it used? I'm asking, because from your 1 photo, it seems that your truck is sitting lower than I would expect to see from a stock height. Is it possible that it has been lowered?
Thank you, from Texas.
I did purchase it used, she has around 224 k on her. And I believe that she was lowered. When I got her she was sitting on 265/50r20 now I got her on some 285/55r20. I agree knowledge is power, that is why I am trying to get all the info I can before I put money into her that don't need to be.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just to make sure I'm looking at the correct part, cause I would hate to order the wrong part, would these shocks be correct? Also would it hurt if I get the lifted spindle and the upgraded torsion keys? I read that just the spindle will not be able to handle heavy off roading. I'm not planning on going heavy per say, as this will be my daily driver, but I want to know I'll be able to handle some rough spots, or would it be best to just stick with the spindle, spacers and rear shocks? And would I need anything else when replacing the front end suspension? Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather be safe then sorry

No worries at all, better to ask than not. With a 2wd truck, you aren't going to get anywhere that a lift spindle won't take you and there's no reason a lift spindle wouldn't handle off roading well. You'll also gain some height with taller tires.

Those shocks are a lot longer than stock - for 7-8" lift. You'll want shocks that match your lift. If you're doing a 3" spindle and a 3" block in the rear, you'll want 2-4" lift shocks or shock extensions. Really, I'd just get shock extensions unless your shocks are blown out. Something like this:

Like above the spindle will help keep your steering geometry the same
Upper control arms would help but not needed depending on how high you go but it would help the ride.
Shock extenders if you don’t replace your shocks with proper length ones.

Upper control arms will not help with lift spindles, nor will extended shocks. They would actually be a detriment unless lift torsion keys are also used.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
No worries at all, better to ask than not. With a 2wd truck, you aren't going to get anywhere that a lift spindle won't take you and there's no reason a lift spindle wouldn't handle off roading well. You'll also gain some height with taller tires.

Those shocks are a lot longer than stock - for 7-8" lift. You'll want shocks that match your lift. If you're doing a 3" spindle and a 3" block in the rear, you'll want 2-4" lift shocks or shock extensions. Really, I'd just get shock extensions unless your shocks are blown out. Something like this:

Upper control arms will not help with lift spindles, nor will extended shocks. They would actually be a detriment unless lift torsion keys are also used.
So something like this for the rear shocks? I'd rather have the proper length for it, and can you explain a little more on what and how would be detrimental for the lifted spindle? Right now what's going through my mind is getting: 3" spindle, proper length rear shocks and spring spacers with stock front end suspension, (ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links and pitman and idler arm) would I have any problems with this set up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831-131509.png
    Screenshot_20230831-131509.png
    590.6 KB · Views: 2

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, those would be the right setup if that's what you prefer, but there's no real benefit to using a longer shock over a shock tab extension in your setup.

Explanation : if someone were to do lift spindles, but then install a lift UCA and longer front shocks it would make the shock too long and the upper ball joint be at the wrong angle again because a lift spindle does not change the spindle geometry - it only changes the vertical location that the hub mounts on the spindle.

Now, I just noticed you said your truck had been lowered. It is going to be important to know how that lowering was achieved as well. If it was a drop spindle then you are going to gain 5-6" of height in the front instead of just 3". If the torsion keys were backed off, then you may just want to set them back to stock height, or "cranked" height for a bit more height than stock in the front. You will need a front end alignment after adjusting the height via torsion key adjustment.

That also brings up a concern in the rear. If the rear was lowered, then the spring has either been cut, heated, or replaced. If that's the case then you are going to want to find a set of stock rear springs, which if you want taller than stock height you can also install the rear block at that time. If you do not install the block but just install stock height springs then you will want a stock rear shock. If you do a stock spring and a lift block, then the rear shock you have linked will work just fine.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Yep, those would be the right setup if that's what you prefer, but there's no real benefit to using a longer shock over a shock tab extension in your setup.

Explanation : if someone were to do lift spindles, but then install a lift UCA and longer front shocks it would make the shock too long and the upper ball joint be at the wrong angle again because a lift spindle does not change the spindle geometry - it only changes the vertical location that the hub mounts on the spindle.

Now, I just noticed you said your truck had been lowered. It is going to be important to know how that lowering was achieved as well. If it was a drop spindle then you are going to gain 5-6" of height in the front instead of just 3". If the torsion keys were backed off, then you may just want to set them back to stock height, or "cranked" height for a bit more height than stock in the front. You will need a front end alignment after adjusting the height via torsion key adjustment.

That also brings up a concern in the rear. If the rear was lowered, then the spring has either been cut, heated, or replaced. If that's the case then you are going to want to find a set of stock rear springs, which if you want taller than stock height you can also install the rear block at that time. If you do not install the block but just install stock height springs then you will want a stock rear shock. If you do a stock spring and a lift block, then the rear shock you have linked will work just fine.
Thank you for that beautiful explanation!! And bringing some of those concerns to light, I will definitely do some more research and keep y'all updated on how she goes

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than welcome, ask away if you have any more questions.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an old saying that you first need to know where you are, before you can plot where you need to go.

I recommend that you thoroughly inspect your current suspension (since you believe that it was lowered) to know exactly what you currently have, as it will probably impact your choices to get where you want to go with it.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
That is good advice, I'm going to get the front end done first, and count my rear springs and compare it to my buddies to see if how it was lowered, I'd rather not buy new springs if she don't need them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts