Let’s talk steering differences....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the situation

I have a 94 Silverado 2500, a 2002 Tahoe and now a 1999 Yukon

All three have a different feel with their steering.

I get it on the 02, it’s different all around.

My 94 has been my daily driver for a while and even with 220k the steering is nice and tight. To my knowledge there has been no front end work on it at least since 100k.... by the looks of it, I’d say it’s all original.

Now, my 99 Yukon is loose, only at the wheel, there is nothing loose or clunking down below, I also replaced the tie rod assemblies yesterday.... no play, just no resistance at all..... feels like the PS on an old Ford.

Another example... on my 94, While in a turn if I let go of the wheel the truck will straighten out on its own more or less.
In the 99 if I let go of the wheel in a turn it will just keep turning if not turn tighter.

Looking at the components, the systems look identical but they couldn’t feel more different.

I feel like I could do a slalom course in my 94, but I don’t feel stable in the 99 driving through the neighborhood.

So... is there something to this or are all of these this way?

If it is supposed to be this light, what is the difference, mechanically, from my 94?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your 94 is s 2500 so it should have the hd steering parts. very similar just beefier parts. your 99 sounds like it has a loose steering shaft. lift the cover up on the steering shaft coming through the firewall and check for play at the joint and such. you mentioned the 2002 but your only comment was its different all around so im not sure where to go with that. also your 99 check the pitman and idler arms. if everything else is tight but those are starting to get loose it might feel tight at the wheels but not at the steering wheel. lower the front skid plate and have someone else turn the wheel left to right and look for any amount of play there.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
2002 is rack and pinion - completely different tech than the 94 and 99.

Both 1994 and 1999 have pitman/idler setups. The potential difference is most likely in the column and under the dash, though ball joint and tie rod condition play parts:
  • 1994 is old school tech - no computer assist and it's a 3/4 ton...may have universal joint coupling.
  • 1999 has EVO (computer assist) and has a rag joint coupler (which has to be replaced periodically).

Toomanyhobbies.... that flow valve is part of the change I was referencing with the EVO system. When I changed out my power steering pump and gear, I opted for the 1997 (non-EVO) setup... the high-pressure hose has some different bends in it compared to the 1999, so be mindful of that when changing your valve.

Last edited:

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 is rack and pinion - completely different tech than the 94 and 99.

Both 1994 and 1999 have pitman/idler setups. The potential difference is most likely in the column and under the dash, though ball joint and tie rod condition play parts:
  • 1994 is old school tech - no computer assist and it's a 3/4 ton...may have universal joint coupling.
  • 1999 has EVO (computer assist) and has a rag joint coupler (which has to be replaced periodically).

Toomanyhobbies.... that flow valve is part of the change I was referencing with the EVO system. When I changed out my power steering pump and gear, I opted for the 1997 (non-EVO) setup... the high-pressure hose has some different bends in it compared to the 1999, so be mindful of that when changing your valve.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on how the different bends affect the valve or how many shims I add? I am thinking 3. I want to reduce power assist by about 40%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The bends I'm referring to are purely due to attachment depth/location. The valve/spring may play into that, but I don't have any specifics upon which to elaborate. Compare the power steering pumps and high pressure hoses between the 1997 and 1999 models and you'll see the difference is obvious.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of you done the EVO Sensor on the steering column?

if so, how did it change things?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If you replace the valve/power steering pump, the part on the column is effectively disabled.
This is the setup/configuration my truck is in currently - EVO is effectively neutralized.

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of you done the EVO Sensor on the steering column?

if so, how did it change things?
I did it on my 99 sub and was impressed with the difference. Truck would kinda hook on off ramps and generally wonder around. Was told the whole front needed rebuilding soooo spent 15 minutes and I believe 20 bucks and am very happy. Good luck

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...........

I replaced the sensor on the steering column, dont know where you all got them so cheap, but I couldnt get one for less than $60. Anyhow, it made no noticeable difference at all... still on the spaghetti noodle steering.

Noticing some uneven tire wear, I thought I might need an alignment... I have read the misaligned wheels can cause jerky steering....

Went for an alignment... shop tells me that they cant because my front end is all jacked up and they would be happy to replace all the parts for about $1000..............

I was skeptical... I got the vibe that they were trying to hose me.... but I bought the parts anyway since they were cheap enough and I can do the work over a weekend......

So, inner/outer tie rods with sleeves, upper and lower ball joints, upper control arm bushings, idler arm and bracket and a pitman arm! I also replaced all 4 shocks and did my front sway bar bushings and end links.......

Feels NO different... though a lit tighter going over the big speed bumps in my neighborhood.

Whatever, at least its all new. I dropped it off at a different alignment shop, it will be done tomorrow. I can only hope that is the cause. Because... I cant imagine what else it could be.

From all that I have read, it seems like any failure in the rest of the speed sensitive steering system would result if stiffer, more difficult steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout