Lemon '22 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently going through a lemon law situation with my '22 Chevy Tahoe. I wanted a place to vent and also connect with anyone who may be having similar issues.

I purchased my vehicle May 2022, as of this posting it has been in the shop for one thing or another for 119 days (it is currently June 2023) and it is currently in the shop now. I am going to go through my issues and then give a little more commentary on my frustration. I drove to New Mexico to purchase the vehicle to find a dealership with lower mark ups. Drove off the lot ~$80k after TTL.

1. Trim piece around the rearview mirror came off and was rattling loose when I purchased the vehicle. Took it to the shop a week later and it was fixed. It was out for a day.
2. Engine seized because of a bad oil filter. It was in the shop for 76 days, full core change and battery replacement.
3. The air suspension is working incorrectly, front is stuck at highest setting and back goes up and down normally. Front tires are wearing at very fast pre-mature levels on outer rim, and no we are not driving fast around corners. Believe it to be due to driving with air suspension stuck, dealership has yet to confirm tires will be covered. Currently in the shop for 40+ days as of this posting. The pic shows when it was working correctly.
On top of this is the 2 recalls for the day time running light issue and the 3rd row seat belts.

My vehicle has been off the road for ⅓ of its life roughly, I am pursing the BBB lemon laws for Texas and hoping to see a very positive outcome. I also want to vent that the dealership I have been working with has been absolutely horrible, the buying experience looking for a vehicle with a low mark up was very frustrating. Anyone else having this issue.

My vehicle: '22 Red Chevy Tahoe, Z71. 6.2L with the enhanced capabilities package. IMG_2437.JPG

OP
OP
S

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to add a few things about the vehicle...

The black metal foot step from the factory was loose, there was no loctight on it either. When I tightened it up underneath, my ratchet hitting the frame a few times made the wax paint crap come off the chassis. Very disappointed this gentle tap exposed the frame to the elements. Don't think it will last too long in worse weather areas.

Lastly, the 3rd row area and rear cargo area has the cheapest plastic I have ever seen. It scratches from your nail barely touching. Plastic this cheap shouldn't be in a vehicle this expensive, inflation or not.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should qualify, I’m looking into this for my 22’ Silverado but I have not had nearly the problems you’ve had. From what I’ve read on BBB is GM has a last chance 5 business days to solve your issues or they full refund you.
I would take the money and search possibly out of state for a discounted Tahoe, I wouldn’t pay sticker or a markup that’s bs.

drmoose

Reaction score
that amount of time, I would probably pursue/push for buyback/replacement. I did on my 2021 5.3 after about 60+ days in for service in 9mo of ownership (camera system + 2 sides lifters +transmission). Went with Duramax. .

I had been dealing with GM on it, and for the first two issues they offered/I accepted (somewhat reluctantly) extended warranties. When the transmission went out, I called them to let them know I had spoken to an attorney, but had not signed anything...yet. SO they could either replace the vehicle with a new one, or I would pursue a lemon law settlement using that attorney. They called me back an hour later and said they would replace the vehicle.

The dealer I had been working with (not my original purchase dealer) agreed to do the buyback/replacement, and they were great. They had advised me early on (during an earlier problem) that GM does not want a lemon law replacement on their records, and if you push, they will typically agree to buyback/replace. This ended up being true. Also it is important to know (I think), that if you retain an attorney, and you win, GM owes your attorney fees, and they do not (as my research has indicated) come out of your end of the settlement - GM pays on top of what you get (plus they will have their own fees). So settling direct with you is definitely to their financial advantage. The advantage of having GM do a replacement verses buyback (or trading in) in is that you get priority ordering/acceptance/build, and can configure a vehicle any way you want (but it can't cost less - you won't get any refund)

At 119 days, you have a slam dunk I would think.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently going through a lemon law situation with my '22 Chevy Tahoe. I wanted a place to vent and also connect with anyone who may be having similar issues.

I purchased my vehicle May 2022, as of this posting it has been in the shop for one thing or another for 119 days (it is currently June 2023) and it is currently in the shop now. I am going to go through my issues and then give a little more commentary on my frustration. I drove to New Mexico to purchase the vehicle to find a dealership with lower mark ups. Drove off the lot ~$80k after TTL.

1. Trim piece around the rearview mirror came off and was rattling loose when I purchased the vehicle. Took it to the shop a week later and it was fixed. It was out for a day.

ngl....after reading first item i was like is this mfer serious about lemon law for that :gr_grin:

OP
OP
S

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ngl....after reading first item i was like is this mfer serious about lemon law for that :gr_grin:
After dealing with the issues I have had, paying the money I have, I am very frustrated and will paint a picture of how this vehicle is a lemon... looking at this from your view it is pretty funny. In my shoes I can see why some lose their marbles

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered if mine goes down this route if I would Lemon Law it or not. I am still on the fence. I have 2 neighbors, one is on their 3rd Lemon Law in 2 years, all different brands, the other Lemon Law'ed his Explorer, grabbed an Expedition. the Expedition is worse than the Explorer. Both have said they should have kept what they started with, they knew what they had, and what was fixed. I have an employee that went Lemon law, traded for same vehicle, same year, happy as can be, no issues with the new one.

OP
OP
S

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that amount of time, I would probably pursue/push for buyback/replacement. I did on my 2021 5.3 after about 60+ days in for service in 9mo of ownership (camera system + 2 sides lifters +transmission). Went with Duramax. .

I had been dealing with GM on it, and for the first two issues they offered/I accepted (somewhat reluctantly) extended warranties. When the transmission went out, I called them to let them know I had spoken to an attorney, but had not signed anything...yet. SO they could either replace the vehicle with a new one, or I would pursue a lemon law settlement using that attorney. They called me back an hour later and said they would replace the vehicle.

The dealer I had been working with (not my original purchase dealer) agreed to do the buyback/replacement, and they were great. They had advised me early on (during an earlier problem) that GM does not want a lemon law replacement on their records, and if you push, they will typically agree to buyback/replace. This ended up being true. Also it is important to know (I think), that if you retain an attorney, and you win, GM owes your attorney fees, and they do not (as my research has indicated) come out of your end of the settlement - GM pays on top of what you get (plus they will have their own fees). So settling direct with you is definitely to their financial advantage. The advantage of having GM do a replacement verses buyback (or trading in) in is that you get priority ordering/acceptance/build, and can configure a vehicle any way you want (but it can't cost less - you won't get any refund)

At 119 days, you have a slam dunk I would think.
Can you please direct message me to help me out with this? I am considering the replacement or buyback but not sure which is better for me.

OP
OP
S

stevoburito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I always wondered if mine goes down this route if I would Lemon Law it or not. I am still on the fence. I have 2 neighbors, one is on their 3rd Lemon Law in 2 years, all different brands, the other Lemon Law'ed his Explorer, grabbed an Expedition. the Expedition is worse than the Explorer. Both have said they should have kept what they started with, they knew what they had, and what was fixed. I have an employee that went Lemon law, traded for same vehicle, same year, happy as can be, no issues with the new one.
Hard for me at this point justifying keeping this Tahoe, engine issues... I am sure the electronic rear end or transmission will go at some point from the engine seizing while running at some point and being towed many times.

SavageDad

Reaction score
Reading all of this makes me regret not holding out for the Duramax but it isn't available for the Z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts