LED headlights in stock housings - My Install and feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to drive at night for the first time since throwing the highbeams in. It was raining (pouring) so of course I didn't get to see how the full reflector/LED combo will truly work, but I was very happy with what I did get to see at more or less a "glimpse". Can't wait to see the difference while dry out. I'll get some beam shots as well.

From what I could tell though, these seem to give as much distance, if not more, than stock halogens. Needless to say I am already happy. :)

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My setup:

Ebay link to OEM replica headlight housings from AM-Autoparts - I purchased a set of these to retrofit the bi-Xenon setup. They are great quality and fit well. For $100ish, they can't be beaten. Even if you want to replace your faded/foggy headlights, its worth the money. New headlights really make your vehicle look a ton better.

Here are the LED bulbs I went with - You'll find LED's range from about $40 to well over $100 for a pair. I was happy with the feedback on these, and ended up buying the anti-flicker harnesses with them also. You can fit these in your housings with no modification! You don't need to trim the core supports like you would with other brands. Speaking of, I actually have clearanced my core supports already for the bi-Xenon, as it was necessary with how far the projectors protruded out of the back. I can clearly see behind the headlights though, and there is plenty of clearance with no modifications needed.

I just bought both of these. I installed the bulbs. Next up is installing them into the vehicle. Waiting to do suspension still... but I look forward to more light to compliment the LED fogs.

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ordered these and put them in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6...cfd7c39b45e5d0da7ec37f376598fd&language=en_US

There is a difference in light output compared to stock and they are brighter. The cut-off line is still there but it is actually a lot sharper and more distinct with the stock halogens. Also, I did notice with the LEDs there are some hot spots, the halogens have an even spread of light where as the LEDs have a couple of hot spots. Over all I'm happy with them. Oh and I did have to notch the frame a bit for these to fit.

I just received mine as well, kinda nervous about cutting the clearance. but im sure it will be worth it once im done. I almost returned them but I think I will give them a try

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question for you guys running the LEDs, is the anti flicker an absolute must to purchase or can you run the setup without the anti flicker addition?

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the 9005s too. Before I install the headlamps, figured do it.

May wrap these lights too with some film for protection..

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I don't have the clearance with the bracket in my z71. My 2012 z71 has a different core support than the pic of the ones I've seen. Cutting into it would kinda take a big chunk of the main brace... sucks :(

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the Hikari's. I had one low beam fail. The model I had aren't available any longer, I guess for a reason. The better part, the price of LED's has come way down. Instead of following up with the "2 year warranty", which I've seen mixed feedback on how it worked.....I just bought a brand with much better reviews. I will follow-up with how they are as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KB7QX3/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Bux7EbCS96JQ1

When I pulled The silicon lens was completely gone from one side of the light. I'm not sure what caused that, but there looks to be some damage to the substrate also. No apparent heat damage though.

20200619_163905.jpg 20200619_163920.jpg

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new LED's came in today.

These are much better quality in construction. Less surface metal equals less retained heat. Also the emoled layout is much better constructed.

These will fit without having to clearance the bulkhead! I took a pic to show it.

Old on the left, new on the right.
View attachment 251715

The old style had this eye over the LED's, and is what failed on the other headlight.
View attachment 251716

The new lights
View attachment 251717

The top left corner is where I previously clearances the bulkhead when I did the HID retrofit. Plenty of room for air to circulate behind the fan and heatsink.
View attachment 251718

And the brand, just noting.
View attachment 251719

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01