LED Headlight Interference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubSonic

Reaction score
I just purchased some H11 LED bulbs and replaced the halogen bulbs in my 2018 Tahoe projectors. Although the light output is decent and cutoff/beam pattern is good, I'm running in to an interesting issue that I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with.

These LED lights interfere with the back-up camera. The image becomes shaky and grainy when the lights are on and returns to normal when they are off. No other interference with radio or otherwise.

I've tried ferrite coils on the wires and even tin foiled the dust caps to attempt to diminish the interference, but with no luck.

Is anyone running LED headlight bulbs that don't cause interference--or have you experienced this issue?

OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
They were some relatively inexpensive ones on amazon (Just over $30) called S6. I know they are causing the interference. But I was curious if something like the Morimotos from TRS would not cause the same. I don't really want to spend $120 to find out they do the same thing.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to add in resistors. I have read a lot of people on other forums getting fast flashy or other interference from LED bulbs and adding in a resistor cures the problem. Same type used for the Esky tail lights - 50W 6ohms. I would dig in on the S6 forums first though.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to add in resistors. I have read a lot of people on other forums getting fast flashy or other interference from LED bulbs and adding in a resistor cures the problem. Same type used for the Esky tail lights - 50W 6ohms. I would dig in on the S6 forums first though.

On the headlights??? That will just dim them (by dropping the voltage to them).

I guess that I should ask, in series or parallel?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how are they connected? if thru the factory harness then you might try using relays instead that takes the load off the factory harness and fuse box and basically makes it a separate electrical system, very easy to do.

OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
how are they connected? if thru the factory harness then you might try using relays instead that takes the load off the factory harness and fuse box and basically makes it a separate electrical system, very easy to do.
That’s actually how I am running my fogs and they have no interference. Only the headlights. So that may very well be a good option. Thanks.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have experienced similar but minor blur in the back up camera when lights are on after adding LED plug and play. Not bad enough to bother me but noticeable. Paid $90 for mine. Don’t recall the brand.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For LED issues you should be using resistors much like the way they are used on the Escalade tail light installation.

For HID issues, I purchased these to stop the flickering: https://www.diodedynamics.com/canbus-anti-flicker-module-pair-connectors.html

This pic is from mbp1979's post in the Esky Tailight installation sticky.

dsc03074-jpg.171930

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys