leaving vehicle with doors locked and engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lakerat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought 2023 Yukon Denali. Love it but need to be able to leave my dog in the car with enging running and doors locked while on errands. Best I have found is that it auto shuts off after 15 minutes and that wont work.

Any thougts are greatly appreciated

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
press and hold start button until it displays automatic shutdown off

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks much. will try it.
I had to correct that
Showing results for 2021 yukon disable idle shut off
Search instead for 2021 yukon disable idle shutt off

Search Results​

Featured snippet from the web​

Disabling the feature is accomplished by pressing and holding the engine/vehicle start button until the driver information center displays the message “automatic shutdown off.”
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/0...ccomplished,message “automatic shutdown off.”

OP
OP
L

lakerat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought 2023 Yukon Denali. Love it but need to be able to leave my dog in the car with enging running and doors locked while on errands. Best I have found is that it auto shuts off after 15 minutes and that wont work.

Any thougts are greatly appreciated
problem solved and it is easy. when starting the engine, simply hold the start button down for about 10 seconds. Your dash display will show that the shut off is overidden. thanks to all for help

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing this just extends the time -it will still shutdown. It will NOT stay running. GM acknowledged some people need to keep it running and you can buy the program and have installed at the dealer that will disable it altogether. I cant remember its either 30 or 60 minutes then it will shutoff when doing the hold key thing? We had the same issue on vacation with our dog in a 2021 suburban. Every cycle had to hold start button, but it gave us alittle more time when stopping in a restaurant. We still set the timer on our cell phone to alert us to go check the truck. I am considering the program for my currect truck, as it defeats the time out completely.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that I am free of this automatic shutoff on my 07, and I'm glad, as I often leave the truck running in the summer when when I'm shopping and my dog is in the truck

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing this just extends the time -it will still shutdown. It will NOT stay running. GM acknowledged some people need to keep it running and you can buy the program and have installed at the dealer that will disable it altogether. I cant remember its either 30 or 60 minutes then it will shutoff when doing the hold key thing? We had the same issue on vacation with our dog in a 2021 suburban. Every cycle had to hold start button, but it gave us alittle more time when stopping in a restaurant. We still set the timer on our cell phone to alert us to go check the truck. I am considering the program for my currect truck, as it defeats the time out completely.
not entirely true, it is noted that this does not work on all vehicles. On the ones it does work on it will continue to idle until out of gas.