Least problems? 18+ with 5.3 or 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Reaction score
I need to replace our 2014 Escalade and I'm trying to pick the most reliable replacement. This 6L80 seems to be shifting strange now, with only 70k miles, which I'm surprised because I was under the impression that it was generally pretty reliable.

I know the 15/16/17 were more trouble-prone with the 8-speed (and A/C issues, etc), so my question is, what configuration and years would be most reliable?

18+ 6.2 with 10 speed?
or 18+ 5.3 with (6 speed, is it the same 6L80 that I already have?)

Thank you!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
either or, the only difference is the 10 speed, same motor's they have used since 2015 L82/L86

Red Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most of the guys with 8 speeds seem to have good perceptions of them with the newer blue label mobil 1 fluid. That seems to have cured most of the issues folks were having.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the 14. Seriously. You will be way better off even if you have to put a transmission in it especially if the truck is paid off. You have so much more life left in that truck with only 70k miles on it. Why not have the transmission diagnosed? When I bought my 08 it was also shifting weird and jerking on hard acceleration but I put a new filter in it, changed the fluid, and reset the shift adapts and I've been driving it for over 2 years now. The previous owner never drove it hard and it learned to shift lazy and didn't like the way I drove it.

As long as the truck is paid for, spend $5k on it for repairs and maintenance. Fix or replace the transmission, get some new Michelin Defenders, new engine mounts, replace any worn suspension components, get a good alignment, maybe fix some trim items or whatever is the transmission doesn’t suck up half that money. You’ll have a much better riding and driving truck than these rough riding and boomy K2 trucks with a significantly cheaper cost of ownership. With only 70k miles you should easily have another 10 years of life if that truck if you take care of it.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace our 2014 Escalade and I'm trying to pick the most reliable replacement. This 6L80 seems to be shifting strange now, with only 70k miles, which I'm surprised because I was under the impression that it was generally pretty reliable

Thank you!

The 6L80 is very reliable, the only issue I know of, is the torque converter sometimes can come apart in them. It's not that common though. I would fix the Escalade, only because even though it's 7 years old, it's still the most premium SUV GM made.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6L80 is very reliable, the only issue I know of, is the torque converter sometimes can come apart in them. It's not that common though. I would fix the Escalade, only because even though it's 7 years old, the Caddy is still the most premium SUV GM is making.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the input........... I just posted up this thread that shows what we've done to the vehicle, please let me know your thoughts:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...lp-me-diagnose-a-couple-issues-please.127214/

Keep the 14. Seriously. You will be way better off even if you have to put a transmission in it especially if the truck is paid off. You have so much more life left in that truck with only 70k miles on it. Why not have the transmission diagnosed? When I bought my 08 it was also shifting weird and jerking on hard acceleration but I put a new filter in it, changed the fluid, and reset the shift adapts and I've been driving it for over 2 years now. The previous owner never drove it hard and it learned to shift lazy and didn't like the way I drove it.

As long as the truck is paid for, spend $5k on it for repairs and maintenance. Fix or replace the transmission, get some new Michelin Defenders, new engine mounts, replace any worn suspension components, get a good alignment, maybe fix some trim items or whatever is the transmission doesn’t suck up half that money. You’ll have a much better riding and driving truck than these rough riding and boomy K2 trucks with a significantly cheaper cost of ownership. With only 70k miles you should easily have another 10 years of life if that truck if you take care of it.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reliability isn't really different between the models in question, other then the trans they are basically the same (tweaks along the way on the newer versions). You'll be getting fewer miles but likely no better/worse reliability until 2021+ where the lifter issues raise they ugly head.

Options are going to be your downfall regarding reliability (magna ride / auto ride / cylinder deactivate / etc).
At the end of the day I don't think you'll be able to buy reliability in this space (2014 to current), although fewer miles would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn