Leaf spring bushing replacement advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something moving on my truck at the back and pretty much all that's left is the leaf spring bushings.

Had a better look today and noticed some of the bolts aren't parallel to the bushings/spring which means they have had it.

Replaced them on my old Ramcharger and it wasn't tooooo difficult. But these have a lip on one side and so they only go in and out one way.

I made myself a press last time but I'm not sure how I could use something like that with the lip of the bushing in the way. Used to do stuff like this all the time when I was younger and I seem to have forgotten a lot.

Funny, when I did this on my Ramcharger 20 years ago I had few tools, no internet, had to do it in the street and I wasn't worried about it at all. It's worrying me a bit now though. The Tahoe looks more difficult I guess.

Anyone done this and have any advice? What did you use to press the bushings out and in?

IMG_9310.JPG

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess new leaf springs aren't that expensive and is probably why nobody seems to do this?

A way to get the bushings out without removing the leaf spring is where I'm struggling. But perhaps that's why there's no takers.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last leaf bushings i did was on a 99 ranger and i couldn't get those out either. i ended up torching both sides of the bolt off then burning the bushings out. the new one slide in by hand.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
You have to remove the leaf springs to access the bushings (the spring eye fully covers them). You have to drop the fuel tank on the driver side to access the hanger bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts