Kids/carseats and useability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake747

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Aight, so the wife and I are expecting our 3rd in October. We have a 3yo and a 9 mo old, both girls. So with this, we have outgrown her 08 JGC and I want to put her in a T/Y but she's heard that it's a royal pain to get 3 kids in and buckled with the captain's chairs and 3rd row. She also doesn't think there will be much room for a stroller in the cargo are after that.

So my question is, would it be realistic to put 3 kids across a bench, or are the buckets the best option?

So help ya boy out and give me some needed ammo for the arguement against a minivan!

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
I will never EVER get a mini van. I have 4 month old twins with capt chairs and no issues. Plus have the back seats. But I kinda wanted a bench seat just so we could sit between the kids if needed. But to be honest I think our trucks are big enough for that.

booyaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about posting a similar post to the OP's, but my situation is that I already have a Tahoe and was thinking about getting a Suburban. I think the only way to get a car seat in the 3rd row of a Tahoe is to put it in the center of the 3rd row. Then there is absolutely no way a stroller would fit in the cargo area.
On a Suburban, if the total length of the vehicle is about 20" longer than the Tahoe, how does the burb get 9 more inches of leg room in the 3rd row AND triple the cargo area?

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about posting a similar post to the OP's, but my situation is that I already have a Tahoe and was thinking about getting a Suburban. I think the only way to get a car seat in the 3rd row of a Tahoe is to put it in the center of the 3rd row. Then there is absolutely no way a stroller would fit in the cargo area.
On a Suburban, if the total length of the vehicle is about 20" longer than the Tahoe, how does the burb get 9 more inches of leg room in the 3rd row AND triple the cargo area?

Go with the Suburban! I have a 3 and 5 year old and at times, we have some of their friends in the boat and their car seats (Recaro boosters) in the 3rd row. Even with 3 to 4 car seats in the boat we still have a TON of room in the back for a stroller (a BOB) and other crap.

BTW, getting to the 3rd row with the 2nd row captain chairs is not an issue....at least for me or the wife.

Cypress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got three kids including my one year old. Her car seat is in the middle of the 2nd row(bench). Easy in and out and both my wife and I are able to reach back there to pickup dropped bottles, fallen binkys, etc. Other two kids sit on opposite sides of the 2nd row, w/ plenty of room. The 2nd row is beastly. The 3rd row only gets used to hall the kids when grandma, cousins, or friends around.

I'd never consider 2nd row captains chairs. With a decent roof-rack setup, the Tahoe is all we'll ever need.

Sdotbun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have twin boys with front facing car seats in the 3rd row and a 7 month infant one of the captain chair. And fits an lightweight double stroller in cargo with my regular size Yukon. And the wife usually sits in the other captain to keep the baby company. Also we can fit an extra kid or skinny person between the the 3rd car seats. As for taking them out.... I'm 5'7 and have no issue, plus it's not an mini van.

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i have 2 kids and a bench. I would not trade it for bucket. It makes it easier when you need to carry that extra person. With the 3rd row in use you cant get a stroller and bags in there without one side being folded up. If you need the space, shoot for the bench, and if you need more than that, get a Burb or an of the bigger ones.

bde269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont get a miny van

i have 4 kids 9,4,2, 2.5 months my xl holds every thing just fine
4 cap chairs and the rear bench double stroller in the back and room to fill up at sams club we got the 6.2l awd it rocks we put the baby on a cap chair and my oldest gets the other one cause he helps the 2 litter ones with seat belts then if we have a emergency feeding with the 2.5 month the wifey can just pop in the cap chair and my oldest jumps in the back with his little brothers works out great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imterarizer