Keyless Entry Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crippen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post but i hope to find a great community here! I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ, currently i have one key and one key fob. I have contacted many third party personnel about a key-less entry swap, meaning going from the current separate key and key fob 2007-2014, to an all in one flip out key fob 2015-present. They said the newer style key cannot be programmed into the older styles receiver.

That being said, can you swap out the older receiver from 2008 model and replace it with 2015+ models. all of this is to reduce the amount of key clutter and to satisfy curiosity. Please hit me with some hard facts so i can either make this happen or understand why it cant be done. i need to buy replacement keys anyway, but i want to get this out of my head and see if its possible before i side with the less attractive alternate.

it also might be called and transmitter, or control module..

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Do you mean to add Passive Keyless Entry (PKE) to your vehicle? Meaning it unlocks when you walk up and you push a button to start? If so, there's a lot more involved than a module.

There's a kit for $140 on Amazon that works great to accomplish this (it is a bit of wiring, though).

As far as a flip out key, there are aftermarket ones on eBay that work well. Only problem is that it has to get folded in half in the ignition to clear the shifter. It's a bit of a pain (I use one), but it's nice!

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk
95b28674d8a23c5b10c61e92809e7001.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crippen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, not the walk up unlock feature, i just couldn't find a compatible all in one key for my year model. it seems they do exist so i will be trying that out before any type of wire change overs.

The key you have a picture of is what i have been looking for but I've never found one that has all the buttons (remote start, lock, unlock, open hatch, open window of hatch, alarm). I've been nervous to just order one because like i said, i haven't found one that said it was for the 2007-2014 model.. however you say that you currently use one and it works well! That's what i am in search for. Where were you able to have the key cut.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not the walk up unlock feature, i just couldn't find a compatible all in one key for my year model. it seems they do exist so i will be trying that out before any type of wire change overs.

The key you have a picture of is what i have been looking for but I've never found one that has all the buttons (remote start, lock, unlock, open hatch, open window of hatch, alarm). I've been nervous to just order one because like i said, i haven't found one that said it was for the 2007-2014 model.. however you say that you currently use one and it works well! That's what i am in search for. Where were you able to have the key cut.
I found it on eBay. A local locksmith cut it for me.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362424458890

But like I said, it does require the fob to be folded in half in the ignition. It's not a big deal, but if you forget, the shifter hits the key and shuts the truck off.

OP
OP
C

Crippen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you for your input. i will contemplate the irritation vs the reduction in key chain clutter.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. I snapped a picture this afternoon of the key in the ignition...c37e286020a077e4bc1c211ef9e3d4d9.jpg

Last edited:

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this
Welcome!

Do you mean to add Passive Keyless Entry (PKE) to your vehicle? Meaning it unlocks when you walk up and you push a button to start? If so, there's a lot more involved than a module.

There's a kit for $140 on Amazon that works great to accomplish this (it is a bit of wiring, though).

As far as a flip out key, there are aftermarket ones on eBay that work well. Only problem is that it has to get folded in half in the ignition to clear the shifter. It's a bit of a pain (I use one), but it's nice!

95b28674d8a23c5b10c61e92809e7001.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
AKA: Switchblade key fob. Our Esky is the only one that doesn't have one. Even back in '02 our Audi has the switchblade style. My work pants have cargo pockets, so I don't have to deal with that.

I'll have to say though, the aftermarket for things like the PKE and kick to open tailgate door kits listed on Amazon are tempting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan