Key and Key Fob Replacement Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't see anything here on this, and when I purchased my 2001 Yuke it came with one key.....and that's it. Like any Mopar guy that just bought his first GM, I called the dealer. I think it's charitable to call the price they quoted me for two fob remotes and two new transponder keys as highway robbery.

It is, however, possible to replace and program keys and fobs yourself, without so much as a scan tool, or any tools for that matter - provided you can get the keys cut. I ordered the key blanks and fob remotes from Amazon (the keys are pretty universal as far as I can tell, but the fobs are VERY YEAR AND MODEL SPECIFIC so be sure to order the correct parts), and a friend of a friend is a locksmith and cut the keys for me.

I have some qualms about listing the programming procedures for the keys here - I don't think it's possible to use the information to steal someone else's car as it takes 30+ minutes of waiting, but if someone from on high on this board clears me to explain I gladly will.

The fobs are stupid easy.

1) Get in the car with all the remotes you want to program, close all doors. Hold the driver's door UNLOCK switch while you cycle the ignition from RUN to OFF to RUN to OFF.

2) Release the UNLOCK switch. You'll know you've got it when the vehicle automatically locks and then unlocks its own doors. Now you're in "Programming Mode"! (If it doesn't lock and unlock, start again - it took me a few tries to get the correct speed to switch it on and off)

3) Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK on the fob to be programmed until the car locks and unlocks it's doors. This can take 30 seconds or so. If after 60 it doesn't respond, check everything (is there a battery kill strip in your remote?) and start again.

4) Repeat step 3 for all fobs to be programmed for use with the vehicle - INCLUDING existing ones!! Some models apparently require you to do existing fobs as well, and some don't. Better safe than sorry.

5) Pull the keys and test each fob. Done! You just saved $100+.

The fobs for my 01 Yuke are $9.95 per on Amazon. You can even pick different colors - red, blue, pink. Dealer wanted $69.99 per fob and a flat $50 programming fee for all remotes. Short of the absence of the data plate on the fob I see no difference between this and the factory fobs I've seen. They may have even come from the same molds. The ones I bought came with a thermal pressure sensitive label with the model and FCC ID on it in the bag. I put mine on the inside of the remote clamshell so it wouldn't be gone in my pocket next week.

Happy programming!0f298577f25c29d630c5a00821fd7506.jpg37cac2686cc47e029834827d542e8c88.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had another key but the fob for the second key was broken. I did the same thing at Amazon and bought 2 fobs and programmed them to match the original. I have a fob and key in a magnetic holder on the frame of my rig and actually had to use one time when I took keys out and set on my console while I was talking thru a window to someone at my American Legion post and then got out and left the fob/keys there and I always lock with the lock button on my driver's door panel. I knew it as soon as I did it. My friend was saying, "I can use a slim jim to unlock and I said not needed and had that frame mount extra out and unlocked within a minute. The fobs were so cheap I bought the extra, just in case.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Petter Kjaerstad and post pics of your rig, please.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this same procedure work on 03-06?? I would like another fob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep