Keep blowing parking lights fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FormerBigDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

Subject sort of explains it all. I have a 2012 Escalade that keeps blowing the fuse for the drivers side parking lights. Each time I replace the fuse the lights work as normal for about a day or so. The fuse doesn’t immediately but certainly doesn’t last long. I’ve taken it to two different mechanics that can’t find the issue. Looking for guidance and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF.

Using the correct size fuse?

When the fuse blows, does it take out the license plate lights, too, or are they on a different fuse? If on the same fuse, have all of those bulbs and wires been carefully inspected for shorts to ground, bad connections, etc.?

Any bulb swapping going on, left to right, to see if the problem follows?

OP
OP
F

FormerBigDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Now that you mention it, yes… it does also take out the license plate lights. Never noticed that before. I have replaced the front parking light bulbs several times and the rear tails are LEDs on the Escalade. So I don’t think The issue isn’t in the parking lights bulbs.

I did replace the license plate bulbs years ago with led’s but haven’t check them since. Hadn’t thought to. Could be on to something?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a fuse will blow if there is a short or bad ground, so that's what you are after, check for water intrusion in the housing, rust, corrosion to the socket/s or wiring harness.

OP
OP
F

FormerBigDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I’ll check out the license plate bulbs and connectors. I doubt the mechanics knew to check that. The fuse diagram does not not list the license plate lights anywhere let alone with the driver side parking lamps. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it will be easy.

OP
OP
F

FormerBigDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I inspected the license plate bulbs/sockets and they looked good. No water or corrosion. Went ahead and replaced the bulbs anyway. Replaced the fuse and then checked out that they worked… they did but I then lifted the rear tailgate to put something in the trunk and the fuse blew before the gate reached the top. I could tell bc I saw the license plate lights go out as it was raising.

That being said the driver side door was already open so interior lights were already on and the blown fuse doesn’t affect any interior lights.

Really trying to avoid taking this to the dealer but I might not have a choice. I’m somewhat handy but I’m limited.

OP
OP
F

FormerBigDaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I figured out that the driver side parking light fuse blows when the tailgate is lifted. Explains why sometimes it would last awhile. If I don’t use the trunk it’s not an issue. It blows when the tailgate gets about 3/4 of the way up.

Any thoughts?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the lighting arrangement on the tailgate, but I would inspect the wires that are at the top of the tailgate where they go into the body. Lots of flexing there each time you raise and lower the tailgate. Might have a wire that's rubbed through.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I figured out that the driver side parking light fuse blows when the tailgate is lifted. Explains why sometimes it would last awhile. If I don’t use the trunk it’s not an issue. It blows when the tailgate gets about 3/4 of the way up.

Any thoughts?
there is a harness that goes thru the body into the liftgate up at the top center where the 3rd brake light is, check that harness for any worn or frayed wires and the 3rd brake light harness also, sometimes the harness gets worn there and causes problems, with the liftgate up you will have room to check it out, you may have to lift the glass separate to check the 3rd brake light harness or vica/versa