K2XX Reliability.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have the best years platform of these rigs, IMO. I would buy 10 more of them before what you are thinking of doing but that is because I often hear the horror stories on here but with more gadgets and electrical, comes more problems and concerns.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2018-2020 are better because there is no vibrations, terrible 8-speed, A/C condensor issue and in 2017 the front control arms was converted to steel. 2018 was when the 10 speed came out and was the only year the Range AFM is compatable with.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2018-2020 are better because there is no vibrations, terrible 8-speed, A/C condensor issue and in 2017 the front control arms was converted to steel. 2018 was when the 10 speed came out and was the only year the Range AFM is compatable with.
???? The range AFM works in my 2015.

That last statement alone makes me wonder how accurate your opinion really is.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the best years platform of these rigs, IMO. I would buy 10 more of them before what you are thinking of doing but that is because I often hear the horror stories on here but with more gadgets and electrical, comes more problems and concerns.
I love my 2015. But I have to agree, my 2000 was pretty damn reliable and no electrical gremlins. The thing just drove me everywhere.

markni12301

Reaction score
I love my 2015. But I have to agree, my 2000 was pretty damn reliable and no electrical gremlins. The thing just drove me everywhere.
My sentiments exactly except I had a 2003, the gas gauge and speedometer stopped working but that was easy workaround with the 'distance until empty' readout and a GPS device w/speed. Other than that, just drove the wife and I and 4 kids everywhere!

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???? The range AFM works in my 2015.

That last statement alone makes me wonder how accurate your opinion really is.
I think he's meaning in the 2018-2020. They stopped the tuning in 2019. I'm sure there is a work around now but when I bought my Denali, hpt wouldn't work on it

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The afm junk has been the biggest plague of the LS platform. I think if your aiming for a good used, the 18-20 if you have the money is worth the little extra, but I have a 15 burb with no real issues to date, all maintenance must be taken care of, fluids changed etc. If the oil is changed ever 5k miles and kept up with the other schedules the thing should last almost as good as the nnbs and nbs rides. I personally will always love the simplicity and durability of the nnbs and nbs. I have considered going backward again to a nnbs esky but there are some things on this k2 platform that make it hard to make the jump... As dumb as it sounds the sentry key and push button start is a huge plus, and the james bond hide hole behind the radio is a great stash spot for spare weapon etc. Also remember to run injector cleaner through it every 10k miles is my normal. The direct injection will dirty valves, put a catch can in the pcv to cut down on that, and about every 80k be ready to pull intake off to clean valves and intake.

This is my first with MRC suspension, I will say the ride is not near as nice, but in the corners the MRC shines like a diamond, and lower it a bit and it will handle better than most... I can only imagine upgraded sway bars.

End of the day, service records are key, and listen for noises, clunks, any weird stuff. The only ones of the k2 that have some weird stuff is the esky, and the radio controls and hvac are those taptric or whatever stuff, they are a pain to deal with from what I have read and experienced by driving a few.

I do recommend getting something with 3.42 gears vs the 3.08, its a night and day difference in get up and go. Max trailering package gets you that.

If you get the 10 speed with 6.2 then who cares, it will pull whatever... The 10 speed is a game changer for these 6k lb monsters.

Sorry to ramble on, maybe this stuff will help. Go drive at least 5 of them, Drive a couple 18 and up 10 speed 6.2 and drive 1 early one with 5.3 and 6 speed vs the 18 with a 6 speed, you can feel the differences. Premier vs the base packages also.

Here is my tow pig, 15 burb with max trailering package. LTZ...

BURB11.jpg

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NBS 2000-2006 is the best years, period. Better seats, better electrics, just better.

The only problem the 2000-2004 models (maybe 05-06) had was the really annoying piston slap on cold starts. On some trucks, it sounds like engine knock. My 2000 Tahoe LT had it. My 2004 Envoy also has it. But my 2006 Esky and Saab didnt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17