Just got a tahoe ppv. What do you recommend for shock absorbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
First time poster! I purchased a 2013 Tahoe PPV that was used by a local city hall/fire department. The truck only has 92K and overall is in good shape with a thick folder of maintenance records. The only issue is that the ride is harsh and the rear is bouncy. I've gone through the forum and placed an order for 4 new Kumho 275/45-22 tires. I also think of replacing all four shock absorbers while it is in the tire shop. What is the overall consensus? I would like to keep the original ride height and a bit of harshness is not a big deal. Should I get the OEM shocks or should I consider aftermarket alternatives?

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
assuming you put the 22s on it? If not, that city hall/FD was WILD lol
Right? Pics or GTFO!

Give us some base to your current wheel/tire combo. The majority of the 'harsh' ride from a PPV comes from the Goodyear RSAs that come from the factory. Lower profile and speed rating are what give the RSA's a bad ride, its push/shove for what the tire does. You could go with a taller profile and more of a mileage tire on the factory 17's, I went through 2 different brands/sizes before I went to 22's. I loved the ride on both.

265/70 Continental

255/65 Michelin

As for the shocks, you are going to get a variety of opinions, there probably isn't a wrong one. Personally, I don't mind a little bit of a stiff/sporty feel, so I went with a full Belltech suspension setup to actually lower the truck 2"/3". It replaced everything except the front springs. It still has a lot of road feedback in the feel/steering, feels like I could take a corner at speed without a lot of body roll, but overall its a huge difference in the ride over the factory/worn shocks. I've gotta be somewhere around 30k/40k miles on the Belltech now, and have zero regrets.

OP
OP
P

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. So Bilstein 4600 for the rear? Or should I do all four corners?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. So Bilstein 4600 for the rear? Or should I do all four corners?
I'd recommend all 4. Bilstein shocks have a very nice compromise that would tend to impress Goldilocks -
better control yet not too stiff.
If 4600 turns out to not be stiff enough to control the heavy 22s, 5100 have more control, and are not too much stiffer.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don't want to put a full suspension kit on there, but FWIW the Belltech Performance struts for the front have been fantastic. No matter what path you choose, I'd absolutely get rid of those stock front struts!

OP
OP
P

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm, I like that idea. I mainly purchased it because my wife complaints that localized flooding in south texas makes her worried. She drives a mercedes coupe. I want this truck to drive well.

OP
OP
P

peterkay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd recommend all 4. Bilstein shocks have a very nice compromise that would tend to impress Goldilocks -
better control yet not too stiff.
If 4600 turns out to not be stiff enough to control the heavy 22s, 5100 have more control, and are not too much stiffer.
Ok, let me consult with the local suspension job. Right now I am leaning towards the whole struts/shocks replacement.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don't want to put a full suspension kit on there, but FWIW the Belltech Performance struts for the front have been fantastic. No matter what path you choose, I'd absolutely get rid of those stock front struts!
Have to agree. I have the Belltechs as well.

Decide what you want out of the PPV. Its it going to be a pavment pounder or are you planning on going up. Belltech makes adjustable shocks to so you can change the dampening configuration. I should have went that route but didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danepfalgout