Just got a 2004 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mortimer452

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got a 2004 Yukon, leather, pretty much fully loaded, only 94k miles on the 5.3L motor. It's in great shape, small bit of rust at the bottom of the door jamb driver side rear. Pretty much pristine other than that.

This was my dad's car, he bought new, I don't have any service records but I know it's been meticulously maintained because he always took good care of his vehicles. I know the oil was changed at least every 5k miles and any weird noise, behavior, or something broken I know was addressed immediately.

I'm just here looking for advice on care & maintenance, anything I should look out for on this vehicle? Preventative maintenance I should be doing around 100k miles? Recommended type of oil & service interval for things like oil changes, transmission, T-case & other items? Any bolt-on mods or upgrades that are worth looking at?

The only mechanical issue I know of is the AC will occasionally just randomly start blowing super hot air, sometimes driver side only, sometimes passenger side only (dual climate control), sometimes both. Turning the car off & on again always fixes it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just got a 2004 Yukon, leather, pretty much fully loaded, only 94k miles on the 5.3L motor. It's in great shape, small bit of rust at the bottom of the door jamb driver side rear. Pretty much pristine other than that.

This was my dad's car, he bought new, I don't have any service records but I know it's been meticulously maintained because he always took good care of his vehicles.

I'm just here looking for advice on care & maintenance, anything I should look out for on this vehicle? Preventative maintenance I should be doing around 100k miles? Recommended type of oil & service interval for things like oil changes, transmission, T-case & other items? Any bolt-on mods or upgrades that are worth looking at?

The only mechanical issue I know of is the AC will occasionally just randomly start blowing super hot air, sometimes driver side only, sometimes passenger side only (dual climate control), sometimes both. Turning the car off & on again always fixes it.

Welcome, Aaron! Gotta love the family vehicle that you know the history of. Especially when it's a low milage NBS!

TONS of info and discussion to read here on all of the topics you've mentioned. Plenty of helpful and knowledgeable members to give their two cents.

Oh, and we have a strictly enforced rule about needing pics of the rig! Let's see that well kept specimen of yours!

OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, pic tax below. Been raining here the past day or two so it's kinda dirty.

oAlU2Wc.jpg
9VLsUNd.jpg
ff85a547-0fc2-4c05-8a0f-4cb4d4badb7e

312d9123-fadf-482e-8050-ea5d8faabdd0

FyaGODq.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice 2004 Yukon! Looks to be in awesome condition!! There is nothing like getting a super maintained vehicle like that. Extremely hard to find. Glad your dad maintained the Yukon so well.

Welcome from Miami Beach Aaron!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great get and keeping it in the family. Great shape as well. Welcome to the forum. May have a blend door problem on the hot air but since it comes and goes and shifts sides it could be the controller having an intermittent problem. There will be plenty of threads about this as you read thru them. Are you using dead dinosaur oil or synthetic?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This was my dad's car, he bought new, I don't have any service records but I know it's been meticulously maintained because he always took good care of his vehicles. I know the oil was changed at least every 5k miles and any weird noise, behavior, or something broken I know was addressed immediately.

Look around Dad's garage and see if you tell what kind of oil he used. If he was using conventional or a blend and you start with synthetic it can cause some headaches as it breaks down the build up and cleans out the motor.

If he followed a severe service schedule, the fluids would likely have been changed at 50K miles or so and the coolant was good for 5 years. Did he take it to a shop for service or do it himself? They may be willing to share service records with you. If that information is not available, it's not going to hurt to change out all the fluids in the differentials, transfer case, transmission and cooling system along with the engine and oil filter. Plugs and wires may be due as well, you can check that and tell easily enough.

Check the date codes on the tires and look for dry rot cracking. Check the date code on the battery too and inspect the cables for corrosion, at the battery and grounds.

A Tech-2 is one of the most important tools one can have for diagnosing problems with these wagons, it's near impossible to properly diagnose problems without one so consider purchasing one.

Sorry for your loss and hope you and your father were at peace with each other before he went on to his reward.

Oh, forgot about the AC. This could be the controller or an errant actuator or two. The Tech-2 will tell what's wrong and why. There are 4 up front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look around Dad's garage and see if you tell what kind of oil he used. If he was using conventional or a blend and you start with synthetic it can cause some headaches as it breaks down the build up and cleans out the motor.

If he followed a severe service schedule, the fluids would likely have been changed at 50K miles or so and the coolant was good for 5 years. Did he take it to a shop for service or do it himself? They may be willing to share service records with you. If that information is not available, it's not going to hurt to change out all the fluids in the differentials, transfer case, transmission and cooling system along with the engine and oil filter. Plugs and wires may be due as well, you can check that and tell easily enough.

Check the date codes on the tires and look for dry rot cracking. Check the date code on the battery too and inspect the cables for corrosion, at the battery and grounds.

A Tech-2 is one of the most important tools one can have for diagnosing problems with these wagons, it's near impossible to properly diagnose problems without one so consider purchasing one.

Sorry for your loss and hope you and your father were at peace with each other before he went on to his reward.

Oh, forgot about the AC. This could be the controller or an errant actuator or two. The Tech-2 will tell what's wrong and why. There are 4 up front.

No loss here - Dad's totally fine, but 10+ years of Parkinson's + dementia has made it pretty difficult for him to drive anymore. I've been driving him pretty much anywhere he needs to go for the past year or so, usually in his Yukon simply because it's easy with his walker and/or wheelchair depending on his condition that day. He offered to give it to me, it was mutually beneficial, he can't drive it anyway, and me owning it gives him continued use of it whenever he wants but he doesn't have to pay for insurance, maintenance & taxes.

I'll ask him about the oil changes but I'm 90% sure his answer will be "Whatever oil they use." He was a take it to the shop and let them do whatever they think it needs kinda person. There's a whole stack of receipts from several shops in the glove box, he didn't really have a favorite, just took it to wherever was convenient at the time to get whatever work was done. I did notice a several of them from a local dealership, might be able to contact them and get some info.

I'm more of a do my own maintenance kinda person, and I like to make my cars last. I would prefer to use synthetic but also understand the problems that can cause on 100k engine that's been using dino oil its whole life. The battery is a Sears DieHard date-stamped from 2008 and honestly at this point I'm just curious to see how much longer it will last. It still starts great without even the slightest hint that battery is getting weak.

Thanks for the tip on the Tech-2, never heard of this tool before, I'll definitely get one!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No loss here - Dad's totally fine, but 10+ years of Parkinson's + dementia has made it pretty difficult for him to drive anymore. I've been driving him pretty much anywhere he needs to go for the past year or so, usually in his Yukon simply because it's easy with his walker and/or wheelchair depending on his condition that day. He offered to give it to me, it was mutually beneficial, he can't drive it anyway, and me owning it gives him continued use of it whenever he wants but he doesn't have to pay for insurance, maintenance & taxes.

I'll ask him about the oil changes but I'm 90% sure his answer will be "Whatever oil they use." He was a take it to the shop and let them do whatever they think it needs kinda person. There's a whole stack of receipts from several shops in the glove box, he didn't really have a favorite, just took it to wherever was convenient at the time to get whatever work was done. I did notice a several of them from a local dealership, might be able to contact them and get some info.

I'm more of a do my own maintenance kinda person, and I like to make my cars last. I would prefer to use synthetic but also understand the problems that can cause on 100k engine that's been using dino oil its whole life. The battery is a Sears DieHard date-stamped from 2008 and honestly at this point I'm just curious to see how much longer it will last. It still starts great without even the slightest hint that battery is getting weak.

Thanks for the tip on the Tech-2, never heard of this tool before, I'll definitely get one!
Welcome. That baby will run too 300,000+. She's not even broken in yet. Just curious--still have your stock floor mats? Yours look like they've taken a beating. 8 yrs on a Diehard is amazing. I'm curious also how long it'll last.

OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome. That baby will run too 300,000+. She's not even broken in yet. Just curious--still have your stock floor mats? Yours look like they've taken a beating. 8 yrs on a Diehard is amazing. I'm curious also how long it'll last.

Definitely not stock floor mats, no idea where they might be, those are "vintage" HuskyLiners from 2004. Their factory is just a half hour drive from where I live. I agree the driver one has definitely seen better days. I checked the HuskyLiners website and I don't care much for the new style, does anyone else still make a good-fitting heavy duty floormat for these trucks?