Just Fishing's 09 Tahoe Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also needed to replace the front bumper as it wasn't straight.
I ended up scoring a really nice winch bumper second hand, but new in box.
Quadratec brand.
Under $200!!

then I had to fill the big empty hole with something, so a winch found it's way via amazon.
Xbull brand with a 12,000lb capacity, then another $20 for a warn sticker kit since it seemed like it was asking for it.

Empty hole that was begging to be filled.
1710956882720.png

Installed with the x-bull stickers still there.
1710957034872.png

Increased the value of that winch by at least $1,000!!
1710957087487.png

From here we proceeded to enjoy the Jeep over the summer.
My neighbor has a 30k side by side, I think this is much better + I can drive on the freeway!

A picture from my piece of worthless desert!
1710957201564.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also forgot to mention the infamous Jeep death wobble.
This jeep had it bad.

Cause was both track bar mounts had become egged out.
Allowing the front axle to do the crazy wobble feature.

Luckily, I have someone that was able to fix it for a couple hundred bucks.

1710957362534.png

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then at the end of september of 23, right before fall and before the wife and I could get out to enjoy the fall leaves in the Jeep.
and a Day before I was headed out to pick up the islander!
The wife told me "maybe this is a sign to not get the boat"

Of course, my logical answer: "well then the Tahoe would have gotten hit!" :jester:

A neighbor decided to do a wreckless turn right in the side of the jeep.
Tweaked the suspension, flattened one of those cheap tires, ripped the fenders off, and put a big gouge down the passenger side of the Jeep.
The Jeep tore right through the front of his Tacoma 4x4, ripped the ball joints and tie rods off, and sent his headlights and front bumper cover skidding down the road.

The Jeep drove home once I swapped out to the spare tire.
I spent probably $800 out of pocket fixing the suspension and replacing the antenna mount, and I got paid 4k for the damage.
The wife and I decided to live with the damage, so a bunch of debt was taken care of out of that.

I spent much of the fall/winter looking for parts to get the Jeep back on the road.
Part of the problem was the tires.
I refuse to buy the stock size since I have plans, but as luck would have it I found a set of 35x12:50 R17's mounted on Jeep wheels.
Scored them for $70!

Not the best tires, 6 years old and Patriot tires wasn't known to be a great tire.
But cheap, and they have fun little punisher skulls in the tread pattern!
Also no signs of any dry rot..

1710957897454.png

About a week later I picked up a 2.5in lift kit, new in box for less than $400 (iirc).
Then I picked up a set of Teraflex adjustable control arms for $200 to give me a little extra adjustability.

As she sit's lifted and with the bigger tires.
1710958117611.png
:head3:

Still to come, I have a front axle truss to install, and I need to change the gearing.
Currently it has 4.10's, I'm planning to go with 5.13 since this is an even more gutless pig now. :jester:

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot about the body damage in the rear.
When I bought this the driver side tailight had been pushed in, a common thing.

The challenging part was the body lines were pretty much gone.
the paint was also pealing from the damage, and some surface rust had already started.

So that needed to be fixed, so the top came off and work began with a harbor freight stud welder/dent puller.

1710958445699.png
Lots of work went into this until I was pretty happy,
1710958518135.png
I got it really close, and then a skim coat of body filler to help smooth it out.
I don't seem to have a before or a finished picture that was pre paint, but this is how it looked as I prepped it to sit outside this winter.
I used black spray paint since that's what I had, and I needed to cover the primer...

Body lines look better with the taillight removed, but they weren't perfect.
1710958758510.png

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Jeep, I also have two soft tops.
The first one that I ran over the summer, slant back and the top worked out to be a really solid "bikini top"

This is the only picture I have on my computer with it, full sides on.
I think it will look better with the bigger tires, but it wasn't bad.
Most of the summer I had just the top and doors on, it gave it that "truck bed back" look that I loved.
With the doors on it was good enough for the AC to keep the front seat's nice and comfortable, even when it was over 100f.

1710959022068.png

Over the winter I picked up the OEM soft top, and it's the one that folds back like a convertible.
Hopefully I'll get to test fit it here soon.

All in price at this point.
Including the original purchase price, engine rebuilt, parts, and accessories, and minus the $4k that I view as a "Refund".
I'm at $5k total invested.

Probably add a few K to that price once I'm completely done.
I still need to buy gearing, probably front and rear air lockers, and a new set of BFG AT (KO2 or KO3).
Front and rear lockers are 1k each, gearing is about $700
Tires are about $1500.
:violin2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways, I'm pacing myself with $$ for right now.
While I really want the jeep back and running at 100%, I also have that boat that has a little higher priority right now.
My in-laws are already making plans for it this summer, so it gets resolved first.

I'm kind of leaning towards paying the boat loan off first, and then doing the Jeep.
Or I just do gearing and skip the diff lockers for now. :chair:
But that seems silly since I need to do gearing anyways.

Damn adulting.

:yaoface2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011