Just bought an ‘18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s fully loaded with the Denali Ultimate package. Absolutely loving it. Got it yesterday.

Question: do you guys always have it in 4WD Auto or instead 2WD? I was thinking that 2WD might make sense for every day driving 99% of the time.

Do you keep it in 4WD anyway? I’m sure the fuel mileage difference is pretty negligible but 2WD might result is less wear and tear.

Congrats! Pics or it didn’t happen!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Ryan6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the glove box of your new '18 is a book called "Owner's Manual". You might want to read it. For the record, it say's to keep it in 2WD unless road conditions dictate otherwise. On the other hand, it's your ride, do whatever you can afford with it.

Oh there’s an owners manual? I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll have to read it.

Anyway, next question for the forum — I don’t see anything displayed showing what gear I am in when driving. I’d like to know this. I was looking around in the settings and didn’t see anything.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome!! These vehicles only look good in White or Black IMHO..White is easier to keep clean IMHO.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the manual. There's a difference between "don't","not recommended", etc.
Guess what...you can download the pdf of that manual and do text searches ... might make it easier for you to find your answers. BTW, you don't have an Expedition, you have a Yukon. You should expect some differences.

I'll make it easy for you ... pages 223 and 224

Yes many differences, between full size SUVs based on half ton trucks.Thanks for that. Lol.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew you couldn’t run these in auto on the dry road. On my Expedition the manual said you could run the truck in auto on dry road surfaces. I tend to run my trucks in 2HI anyway but still good to know.

I’ve had awd/auto on dry pavement by mistake and it’s not an issue but no need to have it all the time. When I do have it on you can hear the front diff/box groan like an old bronco. The awd in these isn’t as advanced as others I’ve driven.

I keep mine in 2 unless it’s raining heavily (and I’m on the highway) or in snow.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run in auto on dry, thats not 4hi. It is basically locking hubs until something slips. Youll lose a little gas mileage and wear parts faster is all, so there is no reason to use auto until you need it. 4hi on pavement is not good tho, you will break something.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awd cars/trucks are diff stories... you are comparing an awd vehicle made to run all 4 vs a vehicle made to run in 2wd, 4wd when weather/conditions call for it.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience 4x4 is much better than AWD. Most AWD systems don’t split torque evenly 50/50 between the front and rear like a true 4x4 with a transfer case. They will throw a little juice to the rear and it doesn’t help you to the same extent in mud or heavy snow like 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe