jarydM’s 2005 Tahoe Build/Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the bumper light connectors on the drivers side replaced with new ones with a bit of solder and tape. Was gonna work on polishing headlights, and then got distracted by paint.

painting over chrome sucks, and this won’t actually be the last time I do this job, because I’m not happy with the way it turned out, yet. But it is done for now, and until I figure out the permanent bumper situation, I’ll just ride with it, then paint all the new parts together. It was dark before I got it back on though, but here’s and idea of what it’ll look likeView attachment 253883
It’s painting the plastic chrome that sucks. Lol. I’ve been there and done that and I gotta do it again.... :banghead:

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Finally got the old girl washed down and took some actual pictures in the daylight.

Next steps:
replace drivers door (deer damage)
Replace knock sensors and all upper engine gaskets.
Fix 4wd (modulator motor)
Fix rear air
New headlights/tail lights/fog lights.

Now trying to find out if I’m gonna try for 35s or just 33s.

9F22238A-7884-4084-9D03-0DEEA817CBC9.jpeg836DFF7E-461E-499E-B1A5-348AA3CC8B0D.jpeg E0865766-F2C2-4103-B99F-5D5ACB2D6BE4.jpeg5341EFBA-40A9-4E3C-B717-2C59299E2CAC.jpeg C65A09D1-0097-4BBB-BD86-2A522C747056.jpeg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Got the bumper light connectors on the drivers side replaced with new ones with a bit of solder and tape. Was gonna work on polishing headlights, and then got distracted by paint.

painting over chrome sucks, and this won’t actually be the last time I do this job, because I’m not happy with the way it turned out, yet. But it is done for now, and until I figure out the permanent bumper situation, I’ll just ride with it, then paint all the new parts together. It was dark before I got it back on though, but here’s and idea of what it’ll look likeView attachment 253883
Been there and felt that pain . My last truck I tried painting the chrome grille . Let it cure for a day and slapped it on, week later there were huge chips and flakes. This time with my hd grille I prepped better and let cure for a week , ....which actually turned into a 4 months but that’s another story lol

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Been there and felt that pain . My last truck I tried painting the chrome grille . Let it cure for a day and slapped it on, week later there were huge chips and flakes. This time with my hd grille I prepped better and let cure for a week , ....which actually turned into a 4 months but that’s another story lol

I actually managed to find aftermarket grill that is primed and ready for color. Same with bumper (but it’ll be a Silverado HD bumper). But those things are going to have to wait until after the baby comes.

it doesn’t look as “factory” as I want, but overall it ended up being ok, except for two spots where the damn masking tape stuck to the surface and pulled it off.

once the baby is here, however, I’ll be off work for 2-3 months, and might have the engine machined, etc. if that happens, I’ll likely have tranny rebuilt as well, just so it’s off the list.

I’m going to HAVE to fix the ac though, just gotta buy another vacuum.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Been working on some smaller tasks on the Tahoe in between using it as a daily.

cannot get the bumper driving lights to work. The wreck literally tore the connector off the driver’s side. I replaced the connector, but can’t get power to either now. Traced the wires back to the fuse box, no issue, and fuse for that circuit is good. Any other ideas? Might be worth nothing that my park brake release broke (before the wreck) but the lights still worked then.

finally got around to replacing the orafice tube and o-ring in between the high pressure and low pressure service port. Vacuumed the system out, and went to recharge. I cannot get the system to take any Freon out of the can, and I’m concerned there’s a leak somewhere, but after evacuating the system, it held vacuum for ~30 minutes.

Any ideas from the experts?

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Been working on some smaller tasks on the Tahoe in between using it as a daily.

cannot get the bumper driving lights to work. The wreck literally tore the connector off the driver’s side. I replaced the connector, but can’t get power to either now. Traced the wires back to the fuse box, no issue, and fuse for that circuit is good. Any other ideas? Might be worth nothing that my park brake release broke (before the wreck) but the lights still worked then.

finally got around to replacing the orafice tube and o-ring in between the high pressure and low pressure service port. Vacuumed the system out, and went to recharge. I cannot get the system to take any Freon out of the can, and I’m concerned there’s a leak somewhere, but after evacuating the system, it held vacuum for ~30 minutes.

Any ideas from the experts?
Well, after a long break, I’m back.

I daily-ed the Tahoe to work for a while and it was all good, until one of the used GMT900 front brakes decided to lock up. So I pushed against it for a while, thinking I’d get in there and rebuild it, but when I took off the three months and didn’t drive it, the battery died. I left it alone while the wife and I decided if we were gonna sell it.

Then last summer, I got frustrated of having to jump it off every time I needed to move it and parked it on the farm. There she sat, sadly until about a week ago. I really got mostly afraid she was gonna turn into a mouse house, or lose some electronics that I wouldn’t be able to track down. After a scare of not starting, I realized it was too steep of an angle for the fuel pickup. Poured some in from a can, and bam. Runs like a top still. I just love that damn motor.

Anyways, replaced the battery, and went to rebuild the caliper, only to find it was essentially junked. The pistons were totally locked. So bough a re-man and slapped it on. Rebled the brakes and now works perfect. The stop power really is much better.

Then I snagged some 33x12.50s off Facebook for $125 with great remaining tread, and had them thrown on today. Next step will be removing the wheel spacers which right now make it look like I’m trying to build one of those trucks that explore the Arctic. Aaaaaaand hopefully it’ll correct some of the rub I’ve got now when turning. If not, I’ll get creative with the plastic cladding.

Next steps will be hunting down some electrical gremlins, run her to a body shop to get the replacement door painted, and some other body parts as well, and then probably have to let her go.

Anyways, here’s some pictures!AB5909E6-73E3-4994-A113-0F2E340B2AEF.jpegafter brake replacement. Before tires.696F8F57-37A4-44B6-B50D-1C13A06B25B6.jpeg01FBCC0A-4A3A-4E42-B8B7-1CFBEC57C729.jpeg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I daily-ed the Tahoe to work for a while and it was all good, until one of the used GMT900 front brakes decided to lock up. So I pushed against it for a while, thinking I’d get in there and rebuild it, but when I took off the three months and didn’t drive it, the battery died. I left it alone while the wife and I decided if we were gonna sell it.

Then last summer, I got frustrated of having to jump it off every time I needed to move it and parked it on the farm. There she sat, sadly until about a week ago. I really got mostly afraid she was gonna turn into a mouse house, or lose some electronics that I wouldn’t be able to track down. After a scare of not starting, I realized it was too steep of an angle for the fuel pickup. Poured some in from a can, and bam. Runs like a top still. I just love that damn motor.

Anyways, replaced the battery, and went to rebuild the caliper, only to find it was essentially junked. The pistons were totally locked. So bough a re-man and slapped it on. Rebled the brakes and now works perfect. The stop power really is much better.

Then I snagged some 33x12.50s off Facebook for $125 with great remaining tread, and had them thrown on today. Next step will be removing the wheel spacers which right now make it look like I’m trying to build one of those trucks that explore the Arctic. Aaaaaaand hopefully it’ll correct some of the rub I’ve got now when turning. If not, I’ll get creative with the plastic cladding.

Next steps will be hunting down some electrical gremlins, run her to a body shop to get the replacement door painted, and some other body parts as well, and then probably have to let her go.

Anyways, here’s some pictures!View attachment 390588after brake replacement. Before tires.View attachment 390589View attachment 390590
Well hells bells man. Recovered and life still left to enjoy in her.

Nice work and glad you didn’t sell or trash.

Meats look good too.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Well hells bells man. Recovered and life still left to enjoy in her.

Nice work and glad you didn’t sell or trash.

Meats look good too.
Yeah, they sat her up high enough I can get all the way underneath without jacks or ramps,

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score

Anyways, here’s some pictures!View attachment 390588after brake replacement. Before tires.View attachment 390589View attachment 390590
Took the wheel spacers off because I was getting rub on the bumper corner and the grey trim at the bottom of the wheel-well. Now only rub I get is at significant suspension flex with nearly full lock, but on flat terrain, the wheels go lock to lock without touching anything. F9948ABF-46E1-47FB-8D47-AFB57B4BFCF1.jpegE7FDA489-B3E8-48C5-9894-147D61A1CED5.jpegC6C4B155-ADC0-434F-8AC7-4FB45328AC89.jpegD7B561F9-7E6A-4ACC-9AB7-9EFA5E2CD2B0.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt