It’s Here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that you are excited to get your new vehicle, but I would have told them to take care of all that before I signed any paperwork to take it off their lot. Once you take it, they have a lot less of an incentive to make things right. Good luck with getting everything taken care of. I hope your dealer is a stand up operation.

I agree with the above. Frankly I would not have taken it until it was fixed or replaced

OP
OP
C

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Yeah I questioned if we should have either. A few years ago I had a brand new 2015.5 Denali 2500 Duramax. Expensive truck for sure. They had to rebuild the engine three times because the head gaskets were leaking and they couldn’t fix it. Working with this dealership they were able to get GM to give us trade in assistance so they took care of us pretty good. In short they’re a pretty good dealer. They said today when I dropped it off they’ll fix it and if they can’t they’ll talk to GM to see what options we have since it appears some of the issues occurred at the factory. I believe I still have two days left per state law to hand them back the keys so we’ll see what they say.

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
I get that you are excited to get your new vehicle, but I would have told them to take care of all that before I signed any paperwork to take it off their lot. Once you take it, they have a lot less of an incentive to make things right. Good luck with getting everything taken care of. I hope your dealer is a stand up operation.
I’ve bought a lot of GM vehicles here where I live, like 30+ and have never had that problem. I’ve even had them call me so they could clear their books.

Thunder22

Reaction score
the burning smell is normal, it's just the paint/hoses/exhaust/etc heating up to normal temps and off-gassing for the first time. It should go away in a few days. I've had it on new Vettes, Tahoes, GMC Terrains....

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the burning smell is normal, it's just the paint/hoses/exhaust/etc heating up to normal temps and off-gassing for the first time. It should go away in a few days. I've had it on new Vettes, Tahoes, GMC Terrains....
Yup. I test drove a Denali with 3 miles on it and it also smelled like burning.

Reaction score

Yup. I test drove a Denali with 3 miles on it and it also smelled like burning.

Agree; I remember it on all my new car purchases as well. It's just part of the "Exterior New Car Smell." Just turned over 253 miles and still noticed it today after I got out in the garage.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a daily driver, have it paint corrected now, and coated.

it will save you in the long haul...as much as every one touts the ceramics...from what i see regularly ( i use https://www.autogeek.net/diamond-surface-coating.html ),
it is a very easy to apply product, works on all surfaces, and make washing a service washes much easier. this is my 17, and it looks the same today. weekly washes, and garage kept.

IMG_04321.jpg

OP
OP
C

Campingfamco

Reaction score
I guess I didn’t put an update here. I went to the dealer yesterday and after talking with the manager they made it sound like it wasn’t a big deal. He said we had two options because there is no inventory in the country. We can cancel the deal, he’ll give us our money back and trade, and then order another one and do the deal at that time it comes in. The second option was to have the paint in those two spots fixed, cut us a check, and keep everything as is.

I talked with the DW and she said she wanted that car and who cares about the paint. Her lack of caring about the paint worries me a little and makes me think, I sure hope she doesn’t feel that way about the 22” wheels as well when going around corners. So to keep it simple we decided to keep it and let them fix the paint. The way they talked at the dealer and after talking to some dealer people on reddit, this type of thing is very common and most people don’t know because it’s fixed before it’s delivered. It was pretty clear the dealer was very confident they could fix it without anyone being able to tell even if they were looking for it. Then they’d sell it for more than they sold it to us for since we got a good deal with supplier pricing and some other negations. The car would also then be the same as a new one from the factory assuming they do the correction right.

So all of my hope is on them doing the repair properly. I’m hoping it won’t be a problem. From what I’ve read onyx black isn’t a horrible color to repair, so we’ll see. Still sucks, but the stress of cancelling everything and waiting, and my wife, this is just easier.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the car is new, repairing un faded paint should be ok. If you’re leasing the car, it’s really not a big deal.
What did you mean about the 22” wheels and corners? I just ordered a tahoe with 22” wheels for the first time and I’m apprehensive.

Enjoy your new car

OP
OP
C

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Because the car is new, repairing un faded paint should be ok. If you’re leasing the car, it’s really not a big deal.
What did you mean about the 22” wheels and corners? I just ordered a tahoe with 22” wheels for the first time and I’m apprehensive.

Enjoy your new car
That’s what I was thinking too. From talking with others and the dealer it sounds like it’s not that big of a deal. Here’s to it not being.

The wheel comment was me worrying about my wife taking corners and hitting curbs. If she’s not worried about what’s going on with the paint she probably won’t care about the wheels. So she’s going to sing them up pretty quick I would imagine.

The car rides and handles great on the 22’s. You don’t feel a rush of amazing acceleration it you get up to speed really quick and you don’t feel like you’re going fast at all because it’s so smooth. Drives completely different than my 2016 Yukon. We’re in love with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz