issue with my suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL. I purchased the 3/6 drop from tony and started to install it this past weekend but had to leave before I really even got started. Came back today to work on it and the front had already been swapped out for me. The truck didn't sit near as low in the the front, only 1.5 ish lower. And it was sitting uneven in the front. I looked over everything and this is what i found. Sorry for the horrible phone pictures.
2gw9ye8.jpg

The torsion bar bolt on the passenger side is backed way out, it's hard to see but the driver side bolt is almost all the way in.

So this is where I'm stumped, the passenger side sits .5 ish higher. Is there anyway the key could be one notch off?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) when putting in torsion bar make sure the a arms are parallel to ground
2) keys need to be facing the driveshaft

cbepro

Reaction score
I have the same issue. My driver side torsion key bolt is almost all the way in while the passenger side is barely threaded. This happened when i had lift keys and was even worse when i recently installed stock keys.

I contribute this to weak torsion bar on the driver side, just a guess though.

I was thinking of swapping sides of the torsion bars to confirm my guess but am just too lazy.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i doubt its the torsion bar
the torsion bar is one of those parts thats considered a no wear part they will settle over time but very strong there carbon steel tempered

cbepro

Reaction score
Installed lowering keys. While I was there, swapped torsion bars from side-to-side and reversed the ends. Took it for a 15 mile test drive on very bumpy/uneven roads and from fender lip to center hub the measurements are nearly identical with the passenger side being 17.5" and the driver side 17.3-17.4".

I did not adjust the torsion bolts yet. Sure more settling will occur in time but when the torsion bars were stock it was almost an inch difference in height from driver to passenger side even before settling would happen.

Torsion bolts with stock keys (You can see the driver side is in more than the passenger):
Stock_Keys_Torsion_Bolts.jpg

After lowering keys installed & test drive (You can see they are almost even):
Low_Keys_Torsion_Bolts.jpg

Only time will tell i guess....

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lowering keys make ride harsh. You will just need to get used to it

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 04 I had the same issue with the bolts being in and out at different lengths. mine was exactly like yours with the passenger almost all the way out and the driver side with a lot more adjustment. same thing happened to my fathers avalanche, as well as our older 03 yukon.

OP
OP
W

Wagnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well turns out that the torsion key was one slot to far on the passenger side. I didn't even think it was possible to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65