Is this too much for an 02 Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Definitely. VIN search done. Will
check for codes. Rear main isn’t leaking, but hasn’t been replaced in 14 years which I found hard to believe. Shocks haven’t been replaced either.
His dad was a mechanic and didnt replace the shocks.Those cant be stock shocks with 223k on her.That thing would be bouncing around everywhere.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just up in Western NC and those are both nice clean rides. I looked for a couple of years before finding a nice clean one and you have two choices lol! Both seem to be well taken care of. I did get mine a little cheaper (01 LS with 150,000 for 5) but as I said, I looked around forever to find it. Good luck!

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of them look really nice, especially the 02. However, any Tahoe with way over 200k is not worth over 5k, no matter how good it looks, or how much money they spent on it. We all know that modifications or replacement parts don't enhance what the vehicle is worth. My worry would about the 02 is the driveline being original. No matter how good it's been cared for, it's a machine with high miles, it will fail on you sooner than later. IMO that's a ticking time bomb. I would still buy that 02, but at a way lower price.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of them look really nice, especially the 02. However, any Tahoe with way over 200k is not worth over 5k, no matter how good it looks, or how much money they spent on it. We all know that modifications or replacement parts don't enhance what the vehicle is worth. My worry would about the 02 is the driveline being original. No matter how good it's been cared for, it's a machine with high miles, it will fail on you sooner than later. IMO that's a ticking time bomb. I would still buy that 02, but at a way lower price.

I understand what you are saying, but that is what they go for around here. You could probably find one for $3500-$4000 with similar mileage, but it will be in rough shape and condition and maintenance is definitely worth something. I would not expect to find a Tahoe with under 200k in good shape for any less than $5k. Also have to keep in mind that these typically aren't city vehicles so they usually see longer trips at highway speeds and they really don't rust in this climate unless they are closer to the beach or the mountains.

OP
OP
02ncHoe

02ncHoe

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but that is what they go for around here. You could probably find one for $3500-$4000 with similar mileage, but it will be in rough shape and condition and maintenance is definitely worth something. I would not expect to find a Tahoe with under 200k in good shape for any less than $5k. Also have to keep in mind that these typically aren't city vehicles so they usually see longer trips at highway speeds and they really don't rust in this climate unless they are closer to the beach or the mountains.

Agreed. I haven’t said this in the thread yet, but I have an 02 LT with 220k on it. It has every service record for the past ten years I’ve owned it. I’m the second owner. Garage kept, looks new inside and out. I wouldn’t take less than 5k for it. There is some junk for sale out there. Most will require quite a bit of money to get to most standards on these boards, mine included.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so I kind of hijacked this thread and I am sorry I did that, but here is what I offered the owner of the 2004 Tahoe Z71:

"Ok, as promised I wanted to get back to you. The best I could do is first lower the asking price based off Kelly Blue Book as a good condition vehicle based off what I found and what you had said. The high value at KBB Good Condition is $7500. But, IMO, even that is too high with the paint problems you pointed out and I found. Let's say $7000.
Then I have to figure in what I found during my inspection. Leaking trans cooler lines that will be about $50 for the pair. Steering wheel controls that do not work means a steering wheel, which is available for $315. Coolant reservoir showed slight sludge but the worst part was that is was way low. You have a coolant leak somewhere. Would have to pressure test to find the source of the leak. The worst is the sludge at the oil fill cap and the rust color on the threads of the cap where it twists in to the filler tube. This may mean that the oil pump pickup tube, in the oil pan, will have the sludge build up as well and restrict oil flow through the system. The constant water drip in the oil breaks it down and therefore hinders the lube capacity of the oil. It could even indicate a possible small head gasket leak and that could also be the source for the low coolant in the reservoir. That is major work there. Something going on for sure but until is diagnosed, cannot know for sure. That would require a cooling system pressure test, compression test with inspection of the spark plugs, check for exhaust gasses in the coolant. At the minimum, after the tests, it means dropping the oil pan and replacing the oil pump pickup tube O-ring and cleaning out the pick up. Again, major work. Plus, at least one if not 2 tire pressure sensors with the labor involved for that. Those sensors are $45 each. Plus you said something about the Bluetooth with a problem, I THINK, can't remember for sure, so maybe not. Plus anything else I find during road test and wheel removals for bearing and seals and brakes inspection. Plus labor for the trans cooling lines and steering wheel replacement.
This seems like a lot but when you let a former service manager look at a rig and a former ASE Master Tech, like myself, we tend to know weak areas for vehicles. Low mileage does not always mean great condition. I bought mine used from a tenant here at my facility. She had all maint and repair work paperwork since she bought new when work done at Kendall Chevy. I looked it over and knew what was going to be needed and did that as well. My Tahoe is 2 years older than yours and has 30k more miles. It is in perfect shape.
Best I can offer for your rig is $4000 cash. I know you don't want to hear that and likely will turn me down and you have every right to. If you want to sell, fine. If not, good luck to you."

He did email me back and said no thanks. All good.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I kind of hijacked this thread and I am sorry I did that, but here is what I offered the owner of the 2004 Tahoe Z71:

"Ok, as promised I wanted to get back to you. The best I could do is first lower the asking price based off Kelly Blue Book as a good condition vehicle based off what I found and what you had said. The high value at KBB Good Condition is $7500. But, IMO, even that is too high with the paint problems you pointed out and I found. Let's say $7000.
Then I have to figure in what I found during my inspection. Leaking trans cooler lines that will be about $50 for the pair. Steering wheel controls that do not work means a steering wheel, which is available for $315. Coolant reservoir showed slight sludge but the worst part was that is was way low. You have a coolant leak somewhere. Would have to pressure test to find the source of the leak. The worst is the sludge at the oil fill cap and the rust color on the threads of the cap where it twists in to the filler tube. This may mean that the oil pump pickup tube, in the oil pan, will have the sludge build up as well and restrict oil flow through the system. The constant water drip in the oil breaks it down and therefore hinders the lube capacity of the oil. It could even indicate a possible small head gasket leak and that could also be the source for the low coolant in the reservoir. That is major work there. Something going on for sure but until is diagnosed, cannot know for sure. That would require a cooling system pressure test, compression test with inspection of the spark plugs, check for exhaust gasses in the coolant. At the minimum, after the tests, it means dropping the oil pan and replacing the oil pump pickup tube O-ring and cleaning out the pick up. Again, major work. Plus, at least one if not 2 tire pressure sensors with the labor involved for that. Those sensors are $45 each. Plus you said something about the Bluetooth with a problem, I THINK, can't remember for sure, so maybe not. Plus anything else I find during road test and wheel removals for bearing and seals and brakes inspection. Plus labor for the trans cooling lines and steering wheel replacement.
This seems like a lot but when you let a former service manager look at a rig and a former ASE Master Tech, like myself, we tend to know weak areas for vehicles. Low mileage does not always mean great condition. I bought mine used from a tenant here at my facility. She had all maint and repair work paperwork since she bought new when work done at Kendall Chevy. I looked it over and knew what was going to be needed and did that as well. My Tahoe is 2 years older than yours and has 30k more miles. It is in perfect shape.
Best I can offer for your rig is $4000 cash. I know you don't want to hear that and likely will turn me down and you have every right to. If you want to sell, fine. If not, good luck to you."

He did email me back and said no thanks. All good.

Lol...wonder which part he didn’t like about what you told him, the problems or the offer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, he did have it listed as $8750. He seemed very surprised that I had 2 flashlights with me and opened up the oil fill and the coolant bottle. He even asked what I was looking for and I explained. He was surprised that I found the steering wheel controls not working. He kept trying to talk up the vehicle and pushing the low mileage. He also said he would take less for it but did not say how much less. If you read the link I posted you will see where he said something like, "These rigs are few and far between and hard to find". I do wish I could find a 2002 Tahoe Z71 in silver paint. I am 67. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles. Could care less about the screens in the dash and for the back seat people. Could care less about steering wheel controls. Could care less bout 3rd row seating. Could care less about Bluetooth. He did not want to hear about what I knew, right then and there, would need addressed. It is all good though. He has every right to try and sell for the most money he can get. I don't fault him for that. In the future he may weed out anybody that either worked or works in the repair industry. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu